Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ib1703
Contributor
Message 1 of 29

Infinity in Wokingham

ADSLchecker and BT states I can only get up to 11mbps. Roll out of super fast fibre states Wokingham is up and running. Who can I talk to to get the official line on why I can't get Infinity?

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 29

Re: Infinity in Wokingham

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 29

Within an exchange area there will be some customers who can't get BT Infinity. There are several reasons why this could be the case:

Your phone line may be connected directly to the telephone exchange and not to a local street cabinet.
Your line may be too far from the local street cabinet to have a stable BT Infinity service.
Your local street cabinet may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
We haven't yet got the council's planning permission to do the necessary work at your local street cabinet.
So, even though you may be within an enabled exchange area, it's possible that your particular line may not be able to have BT Infinity yet.

Our availability checker at www.bt.com/infinity has the latest detail about what speed your line can provide.
0 Ratings
ib1703
Contributor
Message 4 of 29

Ian

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply. The Infinity site is not that infomative. What I would like to know is what is preventing me from getting Infinity now?

Is my phone line connected directly to the telephone exchange and not to a local street cabinet? How do I find out?
Is my line too far from the local street cabinet to have a stable BT Infinity service? How do I find out?
Is my local street cabinet not suitable for fibre optic cables? How do I find out?
Has the council given planning permission to do the necessary work at your local street cabinet? Has anything been submitted and how do I find out?

Regards

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 29

If there is no local street cabinet near you chances are you are direct to the exchange if you live close enough to it.

Are there any of the larger Infinity cabs anywhere near you.

For you to get Infinity your local cab has to be supplied by an infinity cab.

As to local council you'll have to check with them.

Hope the above helps.

0 Ratings
ib1703
Contributor
Message 6 of 29

This is all a bit hit and miss...looking for cabinets etc. I have a BT telephone number - who can tell me (with the knowledge of the number) whether I'm direclyl connected, what's preventing me from getting Infinity, what steps are being taken to supply it, etc? Who do I have to go to? There has to be someone from BT out in the forum that can help.

Rgds

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 29

Hi.

In all your 3 posts on this subject,I have still not seen or read any outcome from the BTwholesale checker. concerning Fibre.

What does it say about FTTC when you input your telephone number

Or does it not mention FTTC at all.

[edit] I take that all back, you have been told in your other posts.....http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Infinity-Availability/td-p/134111/page/2

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
ib1703
Contributor
Message 8 of 29

Perhaps as a group of houses we can club together to get Virgin to supply it to us!

0 Ratings
ib1703
Contributor
Message 9 of 29

@pippincp wrote:

If there is no local street cabinet near you chances are you are direct to the exchange if you live close enough to it.

Hope the above helps.

Haven't found a local BT street cabinet close by. Plenty of Virgin cabinets! How far can a local BT cabinet be away? How far can a direct connection the the exchange run? Closest Infinity cabinet is 525 yards away. I understand that is too far away. That Infinity cabinet doesn't appear to have a local BT cabinet next/near it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 29

@ib1703 wrote:

@pippincp wrote:

Hope the above helps.

Closest Infinity cabinet is 525 yards away. I understand that is too far away. That Infinity cabinet doesn't appear to have a local BT cabinet next/near it.

Distance wise that is not toooo far , But if it is an Infinity cabinet it MUST have a old green BT street cabinet close by( normally within 50-100 yds).

Otherwise it looks like it is NOT an Infinity Cabinet.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings