cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ib1703
Contributor
Message 11 of 29

Re: Infinity in Wokingham

I found a BT unit hidden in some bushes close to the Infinity box. Anyway you say this is too far from my home at 525 yards. I found another unit that isn't a cable (Virgin Media) unit. See image. Is this a local BT connection box. It's 400 yards from my home. No Infinity unit in sight of this one. Would this be close enough (if I was conencted to it and it had an Infinity unit)?

Meant to also add....how do I know I am connected here or back to the exchange 2300 yards away?

Local BT Box.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 29

@ib1703 wrote:

I found a BT unit hidden in some bushes close to the Infinity box. Anyway you say this is too far from my home at 525 yards. I found another unit that isn't a cable (Virgin Media) unit. See image. Is this a local BT connection box. It's 400 yards from my home. No Infinity unit in sight of this one. Would this be close enough (if I was conencted to it and it had an Infinity unit)?

Meant to also add....how do I know I am connected here or back to the exchange 2300 yards away?

BT Openreach do not publish that information and unless one of their engineers will tell you it is not easy to find out. There was a spreadsheet that made it out on the internet that does link postcodes to cabinets (not entirely accurate as you may have 2 or more cabinets serving a postcode and it has been supceeded a few times) but you can get it from here but you will need Excel 2007 or later to open it fully.

That cabinet could be a BT PCP but the number looks odd but if you are connected to that one you will not get any Fibre service until a fibre cabinet is fitted near it. As others have asked what does the BT Wholesale line checker for your number at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome say? Its different from the Infinity checker and is the source that controls whether orders are accepted.

0 Ratings
ib1703
Contributor
Message 13 of 29

ADSL 2+ at 7mbps - range 4.5-11mbps. Router states 13mbps and speedtest 11mbps. No mention of anything faster than that.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 29

@ib1703 wrote:

ADSL 2+ at 7mbps - range 4.5-11mbps. Router states 13mbps and speedtest 11mbps. No mention of anything faster than that.

In which case FTTC is not due in your area in the planned future. Not all cabinets served by an exchange are upgraded and exchange lines cannot get FTTC. Keep checking as that will tell you when it is planned. Locally near me they have come back and connected cabinets missed on the first round a year ago but average speeds were around 2Mb/s so a lot of people wanting to buy faster service. 

0 Ratings
Sephiroth
Contributor
Message 15 of 29

@ib1703 wrote:

No - he said that it wasn't too far away.

Seph

My advice is at your risk.
0 Ratings
ib1703
Contributor
Message 16 of 29

As pointed out by someone with the ability to read (clearly not me) 525 yards is NOT too far away in your opinion and there is a local box there (I found it hidden behind some shrubs).

If I'm not connected there to the local BT cabinet....can I be?

At that point there is an Infinity cabinet as well. 

0 Ratings
Sephiroth
Contributor
Message 17 of 29

@ib1703 wrote:

As pointed out by someone with the ability to read (clearly not me) 525 yards is NOT too far away in your opinion and there is a local box there (I found it hidden behind some shrubs).

What a strange question.

How do you imagine that could be accomplished?  I know you're the one asking - but what does common sense tell you?

You presumably run into the pit at the top of your street.  From there it goes to a cabinet or directly to the exchange.  You need to find out which.  That may take some persistence but they'll tell you eventually.  Your topology is such that I doubt it goes to the "hidden" cabinet as that's the other side of a stream.  So if it goes to any cabinet, it'll be the other one.

Back to finding out from BT, by persistence, exactly what your topology is.

Seph

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 29

@ib1703 wrote:

That is a good question but the answer seems to be a resounding no the cost would be disproportionate and BT have never allowed it. Cables run in ducts to cabinets (all those manholes you see) digging that up just for you to get faster broadband I suspect will not happen unless you become a BT Board member Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sephiroth
Contributor
Message 19 of 29

@Infinitechris wrote:

@ib1703 wrote:

That is a good question but the answer seems to be a resounding no the cost would be disproportionate and BT have never allowed it. Cables run in ducts to cabinets (all those manholes you see) digging that up just for you to get faster broadband I suspect will not happen unless you become a BT Board member Smiley Happy

... or happen to have been one living in Cookham; LOL..

Seph

0 Ratings
Sephiroth
Contributor
Message 20 of 29

0 Ratings