cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ib1703
Contributor
Message 21 of 29

Re: Infinity in Wokingham

From the closest (525yds) Infinity box I have mapped out according to BT.com/infinity and all the postcodes for the surrounding area where Infinity is allegedly present. I am the A and frustratingly less than 200 yards away from Infinity! Next closest Infinity box is 1000 yds away.

Infinity - RG41.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 22 of 29

err!!! sorry, can you start that again pleaseSmiley Indifferent

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
ib1703
Contributor
Message 23 of 29

Green indicates Infinity available and Red no Infinity.

I have since been told by BT that I am connected to a local box further on from the red line off the bottom of the map (left bottom corner) and that there are no current plans for an Infinity cabinet next to this local cabinet. So, I don't know whether that means this year, 6 months, ....5 years or what governs their deployment.

0 Ratings
Sephiroth
Contributor
Message 24 of 29

Your persistence has got you this far - identifying the BT green box. Now you need to find out to whomin BT Openreach you can talk to extract their plans for Infinity on that cabinet (which is on a main road along with other Infinity cabinets in either direction).
Seph

My advice is at your risk.
0 Ratings
ib1703
Contributor
Message 25 of 29

Can anyone help identify who in Openreach can help? They seem good at annoucing plans for Exchanges but having an Exchange enabled doesn't make Infinity orderable. Need to know the plans for the Infinity cabinets. Who can provide this?

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 29

Sorry but Openreach will not talk to end users, they publish information openly like the line checker and issue documents to their customers the isps like BT Retail but those are often restricted. As you say an exchange being enabled does not mean all cabinets will be - cases where only 40% were upgraded are known. Neither do Openreach release the criteria they use to make the decision about each cabinet but it seems to be partially commercial and partially technical. Sometimes info leaks out - the April spreadsheet is an example - but apart from leaks, comments from engineers in the street and sometimes the isps there is not much more you can do.

Some areas have got their local authorities involved as lack of fast broadband can affect the economy of an area Openreach do talk to LAs. I live in Basingstoke and both Hampshire County and the local Borough did a lot of lobbying that paid off but large parts of the Borough were below the 2 Mb/s level. BT are currently connecting a lot more cabinets here but some will still be missed.

0 Ratings
ib1703
Contributor
Message 27 of 29

Has anyone succeeded in getting BT/Openreach to give specific details on why a particular cabinet in their area hasn't yet been upgraded to Infinity? Has anyone suceeded in getting BT/Openreach to upgrade a local cabinet?

0 Ratings
ib1703
Contributor
Message 28 of 29

Do you know what does the percent lines column indicate?

0 Ratings
ib1703
Contributor
Message 29 of 29

Infinitechris wrote :

BT Openreach do not publish that information and unless one of their engineers will tell you it is not easy to find out. There was a spreadsheet that made it out on the internet that does link postcodes to cabinets (not entirely accurate as you may have 2 or more cabinets serving a postcode and it has been supceeded a few times) but you can get it from here but you will need Excel 2007 or later to open it fully.

That cabinet could be a BT PCP but the number looks odd but if you are connected to that one you will not get any Fibre service until a fibre cabinet is fitted near it. As others have asked what does the BT Wholesale line checker for your number at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welc​ome say? Its different from the Infinity checker and is the source that controls whether orders are accepted.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What does the column "percentage lines" in the spreadsheet mentioned above indicate?

0 Ratings