Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 65

Re: Infinity instal - conflicting advice from BT

You don't need to worry about what the exchange can deliver as long as when you used the checker it is showing FTTC. You have also ordered Infinity which is BT's FTTC product. It will be FTTC that you are getting.

I have asked a moderator to see if they can shed any light on whether or not Infinity 2 can now be a self install. Hopefully they will post back tomorrow with the answer.

0 Ratings
roger06
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 65

Thank you - that's very kind...

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 23 of 65

Also be aware over the longer term your speed will degrade as more people sign up for infinity because of cross talk  http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/vectoring-crosstalk-crisis

0 Ratings
roger06
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 65

Yes, I'm sure it will. Fortunately I live in a village with relatively low density housing and a high proportion of retired people who hopefully wont sign up!

I still reckon my 512Kbps Blueyonder cable broadband I had back in the late '90s was the fastest I've ever known as almost no one had broadband back then and the net wasn't clogged with downloading movies etc!

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 25 of 65

Hi Guys,

Sorry if there has been some confusion around the Infinity 2 self-install. There was a trial for Infinity 2 orders placed between the 29th October and the 10th of November where the speed estimated fell between 30Mbps and 80Mbps. This means that  Infinity 2 order placed during that time would have been offered the self-install. Now that the trial has finish, the self-install option will be only available on Infinity 2 orders where the estimate is above 79Mbps.

Thanks

Paddy

conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 26 of 65

Thanks Paddy but in this case the OP doesn't appear to have requested a self install and is incorrectly being told that it is automatic. Are the front line sales staff going to be told that it is an option only as they seem to think it isn't.

Also the estimate being above 79Mbps ignores the B range - am only saying this as I know someone who has a range of 80- 66.8 (A-B) where I know she is at least 350m from the cabinet , doesn't have a mk2 faceplate and would opt for a self install for convenience even though it would be beneficial to have an engineer attending ( obviously I would encourage her to do this).

I am going a bit off topic but from my personal experience of contact with the non uk phone contacts there can be a significant lack of understanding which to me means that the disadvantages of opting for a self install will never be explained - a bit like the non dicslosure of the B Range.

0 Ratings
roger06
Aspiring Expert
Message 27 of 65

Thanks Paddy

So the speed estimate I've been given is 63 - 80 - so that's why I'm self installing? as I'll get over 79?

I've also noticed on my order it states £15.99 per month for line rental, despite the fact I pay it annually. I guess that's going to be another painful, lengthy phone call sorting that out... 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 65

63/80mb is an estimate not that you will get 79mb connection. Your order is correct that line rental is £15.99 pm just you have chosen LRS

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
roger06
Aspiring Expert
Message 29 of 65

Hi

Yes I appreciate it's an estimate. But the moderator post above states:  "self-install option will be only available on Infinity 2 orders where the estimate is above 79Mbps", thus I'm wondering if that's the reason I'm being told it's self install for me despite ordering Infinity 2...

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 65

as your estimate is 80/63 then that would fit in with mod explanation that BT are trying self install for infinity 2 where estimate is above 79mb - ie 80mb.  80mb is as high as it goes for FTTC

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings