cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 8

Infinity install but no new Master Socket?

My sister's recently moved house, moving her BT infinity package with her. I set up her homehub, cordless phone and OR modem leaving only the master socket to be replaced and a new Infinity filter fitted by the engineer and for him to plug everything in.

Now, the engineer's been, everything works but the Master Socket (an old one with the original round "T" logo) was not changed. I was under the impression that old screw terminal master sockets were always changed with an infinity install for a modern "Openreach" IDC/Punchdown one? Everything works OK, but I was wondering if there's been a policy change.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Infinity install but no new Master Socket?

Faceplate comes off, filtered faceplate is fitted. The actual master socket isnt always replaced. 

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Some engineers replace them, some don't.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

There would need to be a filter fitted to the extension wiring otherwise the phone, sky box etc will interfere with the DSL signal. 

from your message I can tell your probably aware of this, with Infinity instead of having multiple filters on everything they just have the one on the extension faceplate and phone socket and you plug the VDSL box into the rj-11 above it.

As far as im aware there is not standard filter for old style master sockets, but maybe there is now, i would be surprised though!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

The vdsl plate fits between the linebox and the front plate, there is no reason to replace the linebox (nte5) this vdsl plate contains all the filters, there is no reason to fit filters on any extension sockets.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

The op suggests that the master socket is an old style one that did not have a user removeable faceplate therefore there is nowhere for the filter to fit between. 

The op is asking why the old style master socket has not been replaced, and i think it should have been. I dont see how the extension lines could be filtered without a new style master socket.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 8

It wasn't an old style master, it was an NTE5 with the old British Telecom logo, and was probably original to the house when it was built in the early 1990s.

I was under the assumption that these were being changed to new "Openreach" NTE5s with IDC line connectors when Infinity installs were taking place.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Ok sorry I stand corrected then 😉
0 Ratings