Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stefanmacmillan
Contributor
Message 1 of 50

Infinity install problem

Hi again,

I've posted a couple times here because it's the only place where can can get clear help about bt broadband.

Long story short I ordered infinity on the 6th of this month and it was supposed to go live on the 16th (today). There was also an engineer booked for the install, I was told this on the phone and confirmation email along with an automated phone message reminding me.

16th comes and I wait from 1-4 until I get a an automated phone message saying infinity is now installed, I'm a bit puzzled here because no engineer turned up to install the hub as it said on the BT site. I then go and connect the hub to a socket in my room that we paid to get installed simply because having the hub downstairs was pointless and i needed to connect via cable. Every thing went fine.

Come half 7 I decide to phone BT and ask why no engineer arrived to install infinity, I was told no engineer was booked. I was also told just to replace the old hub with the new one in the master socket. I explained that that wasn't possible as I got another socket fitted so I could use the hub in my room not downstairs. He told me he could get an engineer to come and move the socket if I wanted for £130, I declined.

Go back to April and I posted on here about my ping and download speed being destroyed around 8-11pm, the problem never fully went away even with an engineer visit and i quite frankly couldn't be bothered going round in more circles so I left it be and didn't use the Internet between those times.

When I ordered infinity I assumed the problem would go away but apprently not, once I connected the hub at around 4pm I got 52/12 now around 8pm it's going as low as 7 down and it's fluctuating between that and 40 odd. Even before 8pm it wouldn't hold a decent speed, it would bounce between 20-50down.. Surely that shouldn't happen, at least not by that much?

So I have two question..

1: after almost 9months of dodgy speeds between certain times after an engineer visit and by infinity why is this still an issue ?

2: do i HAVE to connect the hub to my master socket? We use the Internet for mostly consoles and having them wired is 10x better. Apart from 8-11 problems I haven't noticed anything so far.

Thanks once again.
0 Ratings
49 REPLIES 49
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 50

Re: Infinity install problem

if you were using a wireless connection that may well account for the large fluctuations in download speed

your infinity will normally work better and faster in your master socket butprovided you don't have a SSFP master (adsl/phone sockets) then your fibre should work in an extension socket with a filter

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
stefanmacmillan
Contributor
Message 3 of 50

Nope I done most of the test last wired and on the BT wholesale site. I used one filter on the extension where the hub is and one downstairs on the master where the phone is connected.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 50

as I said  as long as you don't have this type of socket  fibre SSFP.jpgthen your fibre will work in any extension socket but you normally find that the speed is not as good and depending on wiring quallity can be significantly lower

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
stefanmacmillan
Contributor
Message 5 of 50

I don't have the socket in the picture, my master has one opening closer to the bottom and the extension has one opening in the centre. What could be causing the problem with the speeds ?
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 50

have you tried connecting to test socket and then post the hub stats 1-12

before you try that go to hub manager then troubleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

if you do both that will show any difference

0 Ratings
stefanmacmillan
Contributor
Message 7 of 50

i can post them later for you, do you need the results anytime?
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 50

just whenever you can as there is always someone around to help

0 Ratings
stefanmacmillan
Contributor
Message 9 of 50

Thanks, with infinity it came with new cable for the hub so I don't see how it's anything to do with my mistakes, I remeber before on here you said to connect the hub to the test socket and it still had the same problems. It would help if i had a neighbour k could ask but unfortunately I don't lol
0 Ratings
stefanmacmillan
Contributor
Message 10 of 50

this is when its not connected to the master

1. Product Name: HomeHub5 2. Serial number: +076286+1522005325 3. Firmware version: v0.07.03.0814-BT (Type B) Last updated [Unknown] 4. Board version: 01 5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 23:33:04 6. Data Rate: 12616 / 54266 7. Maximum Data Rate: 12642 / 54755 8. Noise Margin: 6.0 / 6.4 9. Line Attenuation: 0.0 / 23.1 10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0 11. Data sent/received: 2.9 GB / 24.0 GB 12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

0 Ratings