cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidHHughes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Infinity installation query who do I complain to ?????

Go to solution

Just taken BT Infinity my appointment for the installation was 24/12/2013 between 8am and 1pm. At 13-15 I got a phonecall from the engineer to say he was on his way and would attend to the cabinet first ... an hour later he arrived at the house, I was slightly thrown by the fact he was not a BT Openreach engineer but some other company they had subbed to in the area, I had forgiven the time he arrived as it was a horrendous day weather wise but he did nothing in his apperance to exude confidence.

The engieer asked where the main box was which I told him was at the top of the stairs, he then proceeded to go up the stairs and while doing so left some nice muddy marks on my stair carpet in the process. I also asked if the new box he was going to install could be placed where my computers were (this was the main box I had was out of the ark and I knew would need changing) I also said I was happy for him to run a new cable from the jointing box (which was right by the old master) to the room I wanted (about 25 ft of cable) he said he could not do that !!!

I said well what happens now then, he asked if there were any other extensions in the house and I answered no as my phones run from the one socket in the room where my computers were, the computers and phone were connected to a filtered socket I had fitted via a plug in extension from my old master socket which I had run under the carpet etc. He then decided to use that to cable to connect my new socket where I wanted it leaving the old master in place and the cable plugged in as it was. 

I have been testing my connection and so far have not achieved the lower end of what was suggested was my possible connection speed and wonder if the setup I have been left with by this engineer is in some way spoiling my possible connection speed .... I would have rather he had left it than have what I consider a botched job late in the day on Christmas eve ... 

So my questions are these, can I complain and get the installation done properly (do they actually provide a proper line such I thought they should). Would my setup affect the speed that much ? Who do I complain to BT or Openreach 

Any help or suggestions welcome 

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Infinity installation query who do I complain to ?????

Go to solution

You have had a botched installation. The installer should have moved your master socket or made your extension socket into the master socket. You need to contact BT and have them send a proper engineer to carry out the installation properly. Your complaint is with BT who your contract is with. It is up to BT to sort it out.

See link for contact details.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact#h=eyJzdGVwMCI6ImNvbnRhY3RJdGVtTGluazU2MjciLCJzdGVwSWR4IjoxLCJzdG...

DavidHHughes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution
Thanks for the quick answer I have pushed it onto BT they said they will contact Openreach and resolve the issue for me
0 Ratings
Barnoe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

This sounds very familier!

Do you live in or around the Rochdale area by any chance?

I ordered BT phone and Infinity on 22nd of Nov and the engineer came out on 11th December.
At this point i had no phone and this was a new connection i paid for.

I have an home office with computer equipment etc and obviously wanted my phone and BT hub there, I was out working when the engineer called and left my wife to deal with anything.
When i got home from work my BT socket was not in my office, it was in my bedroom! and on top of that the BT hub was flashing errors/not working
I asked my wife why he put it there and was told he said he couldnt, even after being asked several times.
to say i was annoyed is an understatement.... if it wasnt for the fact it was 10:30pm, i would have called and cancelled everything!!!
I called the day after and another engineer was despatched, even though i asked for an AM appointment so i could be here, i was given another PM time, So i took time off work and waited.
To be fair this engineer after listening to my problem, came accross as sympathetic.
He also said the previous engineer had'nt installed the correct equipment, i had a hub but no modem.
When he left my phone and Broadband was now in the correct room, but still no internet connection.
He told me it would be fixed at the exchange tomorrow and come on automatically..... it didnt!

on the 3rd day of waiting and now furious! i rang BT again.
A third engineer came out and this time he got it working.... a whole month and 3 engineer visits.

The only reason i went with BT was because i thought they would be the most reliable and organised.
I do now have a working phone and Infinity, but i have no confidence in the company at all now.
I am terrified of getting a problem, cos i dont have faith in their ability to fix it anymore, Fingers crossed i dont have any reason to phone them.
You would think that after having a month of pain, they would at least offer a free month or something, i got no appologies (apart from the poor womam on the phone the 3rd time, who frankly sounded embarressed).

Its a real shame, because instead of the thrill of having super fast broadband, it was simply replaced by relief it was actually working!
btw my speeds are 37mb - 41ms ping

Hope you got your problems sorted out.

0 Ratings
DavidHHughes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Sorry to hear of your problems which sort of mirror mine in terms of the installation part (my connection seems fine although the speed is down to what I was advised which maybe due to how the installation is setup).

I don't as it happens live in your area I am actually in North Wales but like you my main reason for changing over to Infinity with BT was the trust I had in the organisation, I could have chosen two other providers in my area who were slightly cheaper but with the added extras offered by BT and the perceived advantage of dealing with and "established and organised" company I stuck to BT. 

I don't blame BT persay as the installation is down to Openreach which while part of the same organisation is a separate entity (I think I am right in saying) they have chosen to sub contract here due to demand and it is the this that has given me my problem, Openreach have less control in a way on the work done and their standards have been compromised by it.

I mention the standards Openreach generally have, because in my dealings with them n the past both at home and my workplace I have had no complaints whatsoever very professional and caring to the highest degree. 

So far though I am still awaiting contact from Openreach to resolve my current problem methinks I will be bending their ear a few more times before I get a resolution, unfortunately the timing is also going to affect things I was surprised I got mine done on Christmas eve but with the New Year looming I think it's likely to be a longer wait than usual.

Will update when I have something worthwhile to post 

0 Ratings
DavidHHughes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

NOW I AM CONFUSED AND SLIGHTLY AGITATED ........

Took advantage of being up early phoned BT again via 0800 number the responce I got has thrown me, basically the lad on the other end said that it was installed correctly and that using my old main box and my extension from that to the new Infinity box was normal pratice and that if I wanted an engineer to hard wire the connection from a junction box before the old master to the new Infinity box I would have to pay £100 odd for the work which he could arrange ??? I challenged him but he said all an engieer was supposed to do was did not include any new wiring within the house simply connect the Infinity box and plug in the hub even if that meant using MY internal extension.

So I posed the question if I was to put a NEW extension in the way I expected the engineer to have done would I be allowed to enter  the Infinity box to do so ..... amazingly his answer was YES now I know that is not the case as it's BT equipment ....

I would be grateful if any MOD can clear this up for me what exactly are the engieers supposed to do in a case like mine where I have a very old master socket on the landing, top of the stairs some 25FT cable length away from my computer which was connected to a filter box then to a router from that box the old adsl connection, I was under the impression that they would do away with the old master socket and hard wire from the juction box just by it to my room with the computer where they would attach the infinity socket and then the hub ..... 

I am getting nowhere with this so far and am now totally frazzled by the whole experience ...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

The moderators have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this post.

Moderator-Retired
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Hi DavidHHughes,

Yes I think we will need to have a closer look at this at this.

Could you drop me in an email please? Use the 'contact us' form in my forum profile under the 'about me' section. You can find it by clicking on my username.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
DavidHHughes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution
Any update please Craig ?????
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

Hi DavidHHughes,

I've checked our email queue and we do have your details.  We'll pick it up and give you a shout back as soon as we can.

All the best,

Robbie

0 Ratings