Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Infinity installation

We will soon be upgrading to BT Infinity

The master socket is in a different room to our current router & moving the computer to the master socket is not viable.

Will the Bt Engineer be able to move the master socket to a different location?

Using will be possible by difficult or is a powerline adaptor kit an option?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Infinity installation

If you get a BT Engineer they will generally move your master socket without problem however if you get a contractor the will generally refuse to move the master socket.

You could use powerline adaptors or better if you can use a data extension kit which the engineer should have with him. You could also use Ethernet cable to connect your computer to the hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Infinity installation

Thanks Guru

We do'nt really want to use the extension kit because it would mean quite a lot of cable tacked to the top of the skirting board so powerline seems a better bet.

I thought that with powerline a cable connected the computer to the powerline adaptor - or am I wrong?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

There are plenty of solutions offered by BT.

BT Connected Home Range of devices to extend broadband

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Infinity installation

Thanks Keith
Do you happen to know if the engineer carries anything more than an extension kit or do I need to go shopping first!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@chester wrote:
Thanks Keith
Do you happen to know if the engineer carries anything more than an extension kit or do I need to go shopping first!

As far as I am aware, they just carry an extension kit, but others may know more.

At least with the BT solutions, you can extend your broadband to wherever you want, and move it later, without messing around with extra wiring.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Infinity installation

Thanks again
I will contact the BT Shop tomorrow
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 8 of 9

@gg & Keith, why are you advising people to accept an inferior install and spen money on powerline adaprtors?

From the BT site, "The engineer may install a small data extension kit and some extension cabling within your home if needed to make sure your equipment gives you the fastest possible speed."

LINK

If the contractor refuses to do this then let him install and call BT for a BT engineer to remedy the dodgy install.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

@pippincp wrote:

@GG & Keith, why are you advising people to accept an inferior install and spen money on powerline adaprtors?

From the BT site, "The engineer may install a small data extension kit and some extension cabling within your home if needed to make sure your equipment gives you the fastest possible speed."

LINK

If the contractor refuses to do this then let him install and call BT for a BT engineer to remedy the dodgy install.

It's not advising to accept an inferior install, it's called answering the OP's question and giving him options! 

0 Ratings