Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattbrowne
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Infinity installed on the wrong socket?

Go to solution

Hi,

I've had infinity installed for a the past couple of months and it has never been stable, I got a few disconnections a day or night, the event log on the router saying:

PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

I've reported this to BT but they really didn't help, call centre insisted that must be a problem with my wireless (I connect via ethernet!), they never addressed what I was reporting in the logs, felt like they we reading a script 🙂

So... did some investigation myself, and I'm now wondering if they've installed the new master socket in the wrong place, this is what their contractor installed (I'm using the test socket now to rule out my internal wiring):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1p5kp12oda7o10b/IMG_20140119_174416_1.jpg

But, when using the test socket my extensions still work, which I didn't think was possible!

I've traced the wire through my house, attict, outside and back inside again to this box attached to the front door:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q288ubgt8qi662x/IMG_20140119_174329.jpg

Which to me looks like the BT line coming into my house, rather than where they've installed the new master socket (which is in the garage, other end of the house, and with about 5 phone sockets inbetween).

Putting a corded phone into all the phone sockets I can hear a lot of noise on the line, which I presume is what is causing my infintiy to disconnect, now about every 20 mins.

Does this look like their contractor got it installed incorrectly, and should they fix this free of charge?

And most importantly, how do I explain this to BT without having to go through all the scripted call centres.

Many thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Infinity installed on the wrong socket?

Go to solution

I am not a telephone engineer so I could be wrong but it sounds to me that you have had a bad install. The master socket should be first on the line with any extensions coming after that. I believe you have what they call star wiring.

You should contact BT and inform them that the installation is incorrect and that an engineer should come and install it correctly. They will advise you that there will be a fee of £130 or similar if the fault is on your property. Explain to them you are not reporting a fault as such but a bad install and that you want it sorted.

Any problems post back to see if further assistance can be offered.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

You would need to locate your master socket as it is only a junction box at the front door. I notice that the lower cable seems only to have 1 wired entering the junction.

That said you may have star wiring installed which would need re-jigging as it will cause no end of problems.

As you can hear noise on the line report a line fault first (don't mention broadband). Once the line fault is sorted we can take it from there.

0 Ratings
mattbrowne
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks for both of the replies, the junction box has two wires coming into it from outside that disappears under the garden path.

Where the current 'master' is the is an oval box which the contractor assumed was the old master also has a wire that disappears under the house, so no idea where that goes!

With star wiring do you have a master?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

I don't have enough knowledge of how it should be wired to give you any advice about it other than I do know it's not good for broadband but I'm sure some other forum members will be able to answer your questions about star wiring and where the master socket should be in the circuit.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

This is how it should be wired, anything else will give you problems with low speed, disconnections, or noise on the phones.

Has your Infinity Installation been wired correctly?

mattbrowne
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Just as an update, open reach engineer spent quite some time trying to find my master socket (the one the contractor installing infinity added was at end of star wiring setup, as expected), he couldn't find it so added a new master from the junction box which is where we think the line comes into the house.

This hasn't fixed the problem completely though as the niose is coming from somewhere between my house and the cabinet, lots of signal being lost to earth (or similar, didn't quite catch the explanation from the OR guy). Apparently wet weather makes these things more apparent, which explains why were having issues as it has definitally been wet!

So getting there....

0 Ratings
mattbrowne
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

Hi,

Does anyone know if this is expected on the fault tracking website, the engineer looks to have flagged the fault as needing further investigation, but it looks like they should have fixed it a few minutes later (unlikely as it needs someone to do some digging in the road):

or.PNG

0 Ratings
mattbrowne
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

OK, so not going so well now, second openreach engineer was out yesterday looking at the line between the house and cabinet and cabinet and exchange but couldn't see any issue.

They've put a new grey box on the outside wall as apparently the terminators were old... but there is still so much noise on the line my connection will only stay up for about 10 mins on a good run, I've got stats like this on the hub:

5. VDSL uptime:0 days, 00:15:30
6. Data rate:2292 / 4199
7. Maximum data rate:23157 / 61626
8. Noise margin:25.8 / 35.7
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 20.6
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 21.3

Not sure if that is good or not (assuming not).

So called BT again and said still not fixed and they wanted to know what I wanted done, fixing the issue would be nice, so I have another engineer booked.

So my question is, is there any way to tell if this engineer is one for the underground part of the line or the house bit of the line? Seeing as my master socket is about a meter inside my house I'm hoping a UG one.

All getting a bit frustrating!

0 Ratings
bingo2385
Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Hi Matt,

the wet weather rings a bell with me.  A friend of mine had problems with his internet and it was found that when it rained, the rain collected in one of the footpath boxes under ground and the water interfered with the wiring, therefore causing signal issues....are there any manholes or utility chambers around your place near where that wire disappears?

If the engineer was really good, he could measure the length of the cable where the junction box is back to the cabinet, and see if it is a realistic measurement.  

happy hunting

0 Ratings