Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SwooshGawd
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Infinity installed to remote area - very slow Ethernet speeds

Go to solution

Hi all, 

We just moved to a fairly remote area that had very recently been accessible to Infinity - within the past month or so. 

We decided to go ahead and purchase a package, the box has been up and running about 1 week now. 

At a second home we also run Infinity with solid speeds between 45-60mbps download through powerline plugs.

At the new property the wireless download speed is fluctuating between 2-5mbps - more worryingly the wired ethernet speed (through hardwired CAT6 ethernet ports that are around the house) ... is at the same level of download speed 2-5mbps 

The online hub manager speed test from BT is saying the speed between the transfer box and the house is a solid 66.7mbps ... the massive loss in connection speed doesn't add up .

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated , 

Thanks 

Edit: Would like to add that the download speed doesn't improve or worsen particularly at any specific time of the day - it remain at a slow 2-5mbps range all day round

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Infinity installed to remote area - very slow Ethernet speeds

Go to solution

Please post your full Router Stats. For a Home Hub see on here: Broadband Top Tips . Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

or

If you have the Smart Hub, (Homehub 6) can you go to hub manager then advanced then technical log and post the stats. http://bthomehub.home/

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

After you have run those tests can you connect to the test socket on the master socket and re-run the speed test and re post them along with hub stats.

Test socket.jpg

0 Ratings
SwooshGawd
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

EDIT: At this moment in time I currently cannot run a wired connection test, I've done the other steps with results below ... thankyou for such fast responses

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 22.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-07 at 22.40.41.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-07 at 22.40.58.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-07 at 22.41.07.png

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Going by your estimate and the stats you have posted so far there would appear to be nothing wrong with your connection. You are actually getting above your estimated speed range. I doubt it will improve when you connect to the test socket.

Because you are getting such low speeds you must be a considerable distance from the Fibre cabinet. See graph for speeds over distance.

You would possibly be better to get ADSL (normal) broadband and save your self some money.

FTTC-speed-distance-graph.png

XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Ouch! You shouldn't be on FTTC. You should be on ADSL2+ where you'd probably get 6.5 Meg.

I bet this was an EO line that has been moved to a cab outside distant exchange.

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @SwooshGawd

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post!

I have marked @gg30340's post as the accepted solution as he has explained that you're getting your speed estimate on FTTC (BT Infinity).  

From the checker, it shows you may get a faster speed on ADSL2+ (That's not something I say very often - strange Smiley Frustrated)

Can you send us over your details and we will help you get on to ADSL2+ which , according to the tracker, will give you a speed up to 6.5meg?  

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings