cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Infinity installed today - says I'm connected but browser won't open any pages.

Go to solution

Hi all

An engineer came to connect me to fibre broadband today. Everything was working great - the modem and Hub were set up with no issues, and I was getting speeds of around 14 mbs.

A few hours later, I (stupidly) unplugged the modem briefly, and plugged it back in. I'm not really sure why I did it - I guess I was wondering if I could get even faster speeds! 

Anyway, ever since then, I can't get my laptop, desktop or phone to connect to the internet. They all say they're connected to the wi-fi and the signal looks good, but when I open a browser it says 'Page can't be opened' or words to that effect.

Any ideas please!?

Thanks

Nick

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Infinity installed today - says I'm connected but browser won't open any pages.

Go to solution
silly question have you connected the modem to the correct RED socket on the hub
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Re: Infinity installed today - says I'm connected but browser won't open any pages.

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply. I haven't touched any of the cables, so they are exactly where the engineer put them. All I did was disconnect the modem and the Home Hub. All the lights are working fine (i.e. I have three solid greens on the modem and the Hub is blue).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Presumably your phone and laptop are connecting by wireless, what about your PC, is it wired or wireless. If it's wireless can you try connecting with an Ethernet cable to see if it is just a wireless problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Hi, 

My PC is connected wirelessly. I have tried connecting my laptop, and I get the same problem, i.e. it looks like it's connected fine but the browser just says 'can't open page'.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
if you disconnected the modem and the hub are you sure it is now all correctly connected because if you cannot connect with an ethernet connection something is very wrong
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

When you say you have tried connecting your laptop I take it you mean by Ethernet?

If possible keep the laptop connect by Ethernet while we try and work out the problem.

This might sound daft given how you got into the situation but have you tried resetting the homehub and modem.

Follow this guide.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13767

Only reset the modem once. Once done carry out a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for 20 seconds. Once it all restarts connect your laptop and see how you get on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks! I tried the factory reset on the Hub and it worked a charm!

I guess that my unplugging of the modem messed something up, even though all I did was unplug it and plug it back in a few seconds later! 

I won't go messing with the modem again 🙂

Thanks as always for your help, guys. This forum is a godsend.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
I have noticed that sometimes the hubs and modem like to be powered on in order.
If the hub is on before the modem it sometimes doesn't connect correctly.
Modem then hub seems to work a treat lol
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Yes, that's probably what the problem was. I did try resetting both devices several times (and in the right order), but only the factory reset seemed to work for me.

0 Ratings