cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Infinity installed tomoz-will a PC wireless adaptor compromise speed?

Go to solution

Hi. I am having Infinity installed tomorrow.

The PC is upstairs in the bedroom, and we don't want to move it. I gather from the info supplied prior to install that an ethernet cable needs to be run from the master socket, which is in the hall, to where the modem and hub are to be, and cannot run under carpets or floors.

This probably means that the cable will have to go outside and up the back wall through the bedroom wall, - and I'm not sure that I want that, - an awful lot of wiring and holes in walls.

I know that BT recommend that a PC should be connected to the hub via a cable, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using a wireless adaptor. The PC is an ACER AX3950, on Windows 7.

We only use the PC for browsing, - not downloading films or music, and current speed, - when we are connected that is, - that's another problem! - is certainly adequate, about 7.3MB.

I am hoping that changing to fibre optic will give us a more reliable connection, but I'm not holding my breath, judging from some of the postings here.

So could anyone tell me whether fitting the PC with a wireless adaptor so that the hub can be installed downstairs, would be a viable option, and if so, recommend a good one?

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Infinity installed tomoz-will a PC wireless adaptor compromise speed?

Go to solution

hey Dillo, Yes wireless will work absolutly fine.

We have recently moved into a new house and just had BT infinity installed.

At the moment we are only using Ipads and phones to access internet.

Computers and laptops have not been unpacked yet. You dont infact need a wired connection to the router at all to use internet but yes u will need a wireless card. (the only need for a cable is if you wish to run a speed test from the router.

Others recomend a cabled connection for configuring the router to your own tastes but this i did from my Ipad as well.

With regards to a good WiFi card, it would depend on your budget. Netgear , Belkin or even HP all do very good cards.

As long as you go for a well known brand you cant go far wrong.

If its a new instalation you would get the Home Hub 4. this comes with both 2.4 and 5Ghz wireless channels so id look for a wireless card that supports the 5Ghz frequency 🙂

I should add the with wireless: Distance from the router and internal walls do play a big part.

With todays technology, wireless or cable runs are no longer your ownly option.

You can get a powerline adapter (known by different names as well).

This would plug into a wall socket close to the router - network cable into adapter.

Second adapter by the computer and a network cable from adapter to PC 🙂

This is prety much the same thing as running a network cable but it uses your intetnal electrical cable instead 🙂

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

You could fit a wireless adaptor and the speeds might be OK. It depends on many things like distance, thickness of walls, doors etc.

You could consider Powerline adaptors. If you buy at least 500Mbps ones the speed should be as good as if not better than wireless and more reliable. You would have your Openreach modem and Homehub at your phone socket and plug a Powerline adaptor in beside it then plug the second one in where your computer is and away you go.

There would be some speed loss compared to running an Ethernet cable from the homehub to the PC but if you only do light browsing you probably won't notice it.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you both. I have not heard of powerline adaptors, so will look in to that.

Hopefully the BT engineer will help me make the right decision as to the siting of the modem/hub.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Update in case anyone is interested - I decided to go for the cheapish option of a Netgear WNA 3100M Wireless N300 USB adaptor. It seems to be working fine, - HH4 is downstairs, and the PC is diagonally upstairs.

So problem solved for the time being. I may try the powerline adaptors in the future.

Thanks for your input.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Not a problem at all. Glad we could help and that your up and running 😄
Just pick a post and mark as answered so other people know that this is resolved. May even help other people in the future.
Happy surfing

Edit: never mind me. U already did it lol