Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ninjoid
Contributor
Message 1 of 41

Infinity is slow, especially wireless

Hi,

We've had infinity for over 2 years without any issues.  Yesterday we experienced major slow down both with wired and wireless connections.

The download speed was coming in at around 1Mb but the upload speed was normal at around 6Mb.  We normally experience downloads of approx 34mb (wired) and about 19Mb (wireless).

My ip profile for our line is just over 34mb.

As I say since yesterday our speed has dropped considerably.  Having left it overnight our wired speed seems to have picked back up to normal but our wireless speed is still hovvering around the 1-2Mb download.  I've re-booted the hub to no avail.  No settings have been changed either on the hub or the laptop.

Has anyone got any ideas that could help us please?

Thanks

0 Ratings
40 REPLIES 40
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 41

Re: Infinity is slow, especially wireless

As your wired [ethernet] connection has returned to normal but wireless has not then maybe you could try changing wireless channels, the one you used might now have more using it.

But have you moved anything or added any electrical devices to your home that might be causing wireless interference,just a thought.?

0 Ratings
Ninjoid
Contributor
Message 3 of 41

Thanks Ironman....no new devices or electrical equipment at all...it was ok yesterday afternoon when I was working at home but just noticed the issue late last night.

I've tried another pc that we have with the same issues.  Even if I sit with my laptop next to the HH I still have slow connectivity.  It all seems very odd.  Ran a service check on my line and all checks out ok for phone and broadband.  Just seems very odd that the wired speed went down significantly last night as well and it's been very steady for the past couple of years.

I'll try changing wireless channels when I get home tonight and see if it makes any difference.  Currently it's on smart wireless. 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 41

When you say you re-booted the homehub if it was a soft re-boot, try a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds, this can often sort out problems.

0 Ratings
Ninjoid
Contributor
Message 5 of 41

It's all gone Pete Tong now....wired speeds are down considerably again.

Have spoken to BT India for about an hour and went through the script and tests that they ran...which I'd already done the previous night.

Conclusion is that they don't really know what the issue is and think there may be a network issue affecting our speed which they have reported to their network team for resolution and they will contact me in 48hrs....hopefully!

Ip profile is saying 34mb but currently getting wired speeds of approx 5-7Mb download.

Hopefully this is resolved soon as it is very frustrating.

0 Ratings
Ninjoid
Contributor
Message 6 of 41

This is BT test from a wired connection  - not good at all 😞   Would appreciate any help from the MODS in order to resolve this please.

Speed.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 41

Hi Ninjoid,

Thanks for posting. If you've already reported this it'll be in hand with the tech guys but I can check it for you if you wish. Drop me an email with the details. You'll get the 'contact us' form in the about me section of my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Ninjoid
Contributor
Message 8 of 41

Thanks David - I will do once I get home as I can give you the call reference number and all the other details.

The wired speed yesterday was ok in the morning (wireless was still slow) but when I got home in the early evening both wired and wireless were slow (as can be seen by the pic in the previous post).  Hence my call to customer support at around 6pm on 15/10.

When I checked this morning (16/10) the speed seemed to be back to normal both for wired and wireless - but this was at 6am...so we'll see what it's like when I get home tonight....fingers crossed it hasn't changed.

Thanks for your help, will be in touch soon.

0 Ratings
Ninjoid
Contributor
Message 9 of 41

David - sent you the details....BT support rang this afternoon and spoke to my wife suggesting that the issue should now be a lot better.

Fingers crossed but we are looking good and the speed is currently back to normal. The support call will remain open for 5 days just in case we experience any further issues.

I've put a more detailed explanation in the PM to the mods but thanks again for your prompt help.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 41

Great stuff Ninjoid, I'm glad you're finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel! Smiley Happy

We do have your details here and we'll give you a shout in a couple of days time to make sure everything looks good and if you're happy enough we can close things off at that stage!

All the best,

Robbie

0 Ratings