cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Infinity just installed and a few questions..............

Hi All,

Just had infinity installed this morning, very nice engineer and a very quick install to be fair. Eveything is working so far, laptop, xbox etc etc...........

The engineer tested my line and said I should be getting around 39.92mb which is great but my first test on speedtest.net has given me around 13mb download and 7mb upload. Now this far quicker than I uset to get which is a bonus but Im wondering when the speed will go up to the 30mb download??

The engineer was adamant that BT will throttle the speed over the next few days and that I may not see the full speed until then. I know some people have had nightmares with BT and the infinity service and I just want to make sure that my speed will increase over the next few days.

I live in the swadlincote area and infinity has just gone live in the last month I believe. Its my first time with BT as an ISP and I hope I have a smooth ride...........

All feedback appreciated.

Thanks

Ste

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 24

Re: Infinity just installed and a few questions..............

Hi Welcome,

First off can you run a test from here and post your results:--

http://speedtester.bt.com/

Also what anti-virus software are you running????????

iechyd da

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 24

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

<script type="text/javascript">// paintProgressAndMessageOnBar(-1 ,"Last Test Required" ); // </script> Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
10113 Kbps

0 Kbps38717 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
> Download speedachieved during the test was - 10113 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-38717 Kbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is -38717 Kbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
7907 Kbps

0 Kbps10000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 7907 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your ISP to investigate the fault.

If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results.

Sorry about the post as Im not sure how I get it to display. I dont think Im running any major anti virus software??? Its saying I should be getting around 38mb if I am correct? I had to ring BT already due to one of my extension sockets being dead which I believe was a genuine error on the engineers part. BT said I have got to give it at least ten days before I see the estimated download speeds. Am I likely to see an increase soon?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 24

You should have an up to date AV software.

Ok from your result you do have a problem, yes your IP profile is set at 38717Kbps but so is everyone's set to that, On the test your down only got to 10113Kbps which is not in the acceptable range for your line. You have 2 choices now,

1. Contact BT CS by phone

2. Contact 1 of the Mods on here and ask them to have a look for you, Use the link below to contact a Mod and put a link back to this Thread

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

Lets us know how you get on

iechyd da

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Are you testing via a wired or wireless connection?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Right I have emailed a mod and posted a link back to the forum. Isn't it true that you have to give it at least 10 days before you get the full speed??

I tested it on wireless but when I was with sky bb I sync'd at 7.5mb and uset to get about 6.5mb download speed on speedtest, namesco, thinkbroadband etc.

As far as I know my phone line is clear and has no faults???

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 24

My infinity was activated yesterday and the 1st thing I did was a speedtest at speedtest.net and it was 36mb which was only 1mb lower than what the engineer said it should be. but it was also 10mb faster than what I was estimated when ordering it 🙂

So I don't think you should have to wait for your speed to go up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 24

Try a speed test via Ethernet, if it goes up to 30MBs you know it is a problem with your wireless connection and you can fix it by trying to change channels. 

If your speed doesn't increase with a wired connection there must be a problem with either you line, router or hub and you will need to contact BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Right.......

I stand corrected.....lol! Just connected via cable to the home hub and wow im now getting 36mb download! Excellent.........So next question is why am I getting half of the speed on wireless.......Can anyone tell me what I can do put this right.

I am running windows vista on a bog standard toshiba laptop.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Download InSSIDer, it tells you what wireless channels is being used in your area then you select one that is less congested.

Or just click through your wireless channels until you find one that gives you the best connection.

0 Ratings