cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HaroldTheHairy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 61

Infinity mis-sold to laptop users

I thought my luck was in when the nice lady from the BT sales team called me out of the blue one day and told me Infinity had been rolled out to my area. I was promised lightning fast 37.5MB broadband and naturally I was sceptical. I had 3 conversations with the lady in the sales team and even 2 conversations with her supervisor. They told me all about how they'd run fibre optics out to the street cabinets and how that meant I could now benefit from super fast speeds. "surely you mean up to 37.5MB?" I said. "No" came the reply 37.5 MB guaranteed!! They even confirmed the guaranteed speed to me in an email.

Throughout all these conversations I made no secret of the fact that I didn't have a fixed PC in my house. We spoke at length about the type of processor and the wireless capability of my laptop. They knew that I was exclusively a laptop user and I would only ever be connecting to the hub wirelessly. So why didn't they, at any time, tell me that I would only ever get the full 37.5MB by plugging my laptop into the hub with a cable??

The home hub is so weak that as soon as you remove the cable even if the laptop is only 6 inches away from the hub the speed drops from 37.5MB to 10MB. Take it into the next room and you're down to about 5MB. I've even had days where I've been trying to use my laptop upstairs and have seen speeds of half a Meg. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE BT!!!

I've already posted another thread looking for solutions to this (thinking there was a fault) and I thank everyone who responded with great suggestions about plug in data ports and the like but my question is this "Why should I??"

I feel that BT have totally mis-represented the product that they've sold to me. I've been conned into buying something that doesn't meet my requirements by a sales team that are no doubt commission driven and are therefore more interested in sealing the deal than giving you a product that works.

If any of this rings true for you let me know. If we can get enough people together surely we can get someone to listen?? If BT aren't interested in hearing what we have to say I'm sure "Watchdog" or "The Daily Mail" will be...

0 Ratings
60 REPLIES 60
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 61

Re: Infinity mis-sold to laptop users

There's no guarantee of wireless performance I'm afraid, you'll struggle to find any ISP which will.

It might just be that you need to upgrade your wireless adaptor to a wireless N standard if it's not already. There's also lots of different channels you can try as it might just be a case of local wireless interference from other wireless devices in your area (of which BT or any ISP can do nothing about).

Ultimately you have agreed a speed of 37.5meg and if you connect via Ethernet you will get that, so BT are meeting their obligation. Wireless is shaky at best, and it's only going to become more inferior to Ethernet when people are wanting to fully utilise a potential 80meg when it's released in a few months.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 61

You need a laptop with a wireless card which is wireless "n" capable. That will give you wireless speeds up to 150mb, which is much faster than Infinity can deliver.

You can plug in a tiny USB wireless adapter which is suitable, into your laptop, which will boost the connection speed.

Wireless performance is generally very poor unless you have a good signal, and no interference.

One option is to use powerline adapters to carry the Ethernet connection from the hub, to a different room. They are capable of working up to 200mb.

PC
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 61

Hi Harold

"The home hub is so weak that as soon as you remove the cable even if the laptop is only 6 inches away from the hub the speed drops from 37.5MB to 10MB"

Assuming between that 6 inches there isn't a lead wall!!!!! then there is something wrong with the wireless strength emitting from the HH3..... I get a wireless signal connection 60 feet away at the bottom of the garden... true it's not 37Mbps at that distance, it's around 10Mbps but it's perfectly reliable.

You could download the free wireless scanner for windows http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

And that will show the power of your wireless signal.

Mine is around 40 to 50 (The lower the figure the stronger the signal).

If you've got a bad/weak signal I'd contact the BT forum Mods using THIS FORM. Requesting a replacement Home Hub 3 router.

Inssider pic 1.jpg

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

PC
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 61

The variable I missed was I'm approx 20 feet away from my router through one plasterboard wall.... I get a signal strength of between using the USB wireless n adapters, 40 and 50dBm.

Edit Also would be useful to know if more than one laptops have such a big speed drop 6 inches from the HH3...... just in case it's the wireless sensativity of the laptop.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 61

Why would it be a fault of the HH3 if the wireless signal drops so much within 6 inches

Have you actually thought it could be an issue with your laptop and it's wifi or drivers

have you got a smartphone - if so connect that via wireless and check connection

if iphone or android download the speedtest app and see what speeds you get - if you get the same issues then yes it looks to be a HH3 issue - if you get no problems then it would suggest something wrong with the laptop

Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 61

@HaroldTheHairy wrote:

I thought my luck was in when the nice lady from the BT sales team called me out of the blue one day and told me Infinity had been rolled out to my area. I was promised lightning fast 37.5MB broadband and naturally I was sceptical. I had 3 conversations with the lady in the sales team and even 2 conversations with her supervisor. They told me all about how they'd run fibre optics out to the street cabinets and how that meant I could now benefit from super fast speeds. "surely you mean up to 37.5MB?" I said. "No" came the reply 37.5 MB guaranteed!! They even confirmed the guaranteed speed to me in an email.

Throughout all these conversations I made no secret of the fact that I didn't have a fixed PC in my house. We spoke at length about the type of processor and the wireless capability of my laptop. They knew that I was exclusively a laptop user and I would only ever be connecting to the hub wirelessly. So why didn't they, at any time, tell me that I would only ever get the full 37.5MB by plugging my laptop into the hub with a cable??

The home hub is so weak that as soon as you remove the cable even if the laptop is only 6 inches away from the hub the speed drops from 37.5MB to 10MB. Take it into the next room and you're down to about 5MB. I've even had days where I've been trying to use my laptop upstairs and have seen speeds of half a Meg. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE BT!!!

I've already posted another thread looking for solutions to this (thinking there was a fault) and I thank everyone who responded with great suggestions about plug in data ports and the like but my question is this "Why should I??"

I feel that BT have totally mis-represented the product that they've sold to me. I've been conned into buying something that doesn't meet my requirements by a sales team that are no doubt commission driven and are therefore more interested in sealing the deal than giving you a product that works.

If any of this rings true for you let me know. If we can get enough people together surely we can get someone to listen?? If BT aren't interested in hearing what we have to say I'm sure "Watchdog" or "The Daily Mail" will be...

Wireless is wireless, far too many things can effect it, if you think that watchdog or the daily Mail wiil be interested, good luck
I think they will laugh at you.

Mind you i take that back about the Daily Mail and the rest of the gutter press, they can make a story out of nothing.Man Wink

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
kenm2000
Message 8 of 61

As others have stated - you need to upgrade your laptop and/or wireless adapter to 'n' technology. This is fact as I have an xbox about 3 rooms away from my infinity hub and still get full speed data at 34mb! (Latest xbox comes with wireless 'n' built in).

To be perfectly honest the Infinity hubs range is far better than any other standard hubs wiresless performance.  If you complained about your problem people would just assume your laptop is too old. Some laptop adapters are better than others - i bought one years ago and it was ok, but then tried a generic brand and it was far better even though it was half the price of the branded one

Also when i use my 'n' laptop 3 rooms away I get full speed as advertised as wireless 'n' starts at 150mbits network bandwidth so is perfectly future proof for a while yet for infinity customers.

Highlighted
warrmr
Beginner
Message 9 of 61

Like the others have said BT is meeting is obligation by giving you 37mb broadband when plugged directly into the homehub. If your infrastructure is causing you to have less bandwidth that you are being supplied then it is entirely down to your setup or interference from your neighbours.

I have not found a wireless router that is good at selecting the wireless channel for minimum interference so you have to scan your local area to find out what channels are in use and then choose one that doesn't overlap with an existing one. 

There was a case study where a networks engineer that lived in a block of flats was fed up with wireless interference from his neighbours that he called a meeting with everyone in his block and formulated a plan. 

He drew a plan of his building with each house on the block, Each house in that block he assigned a channel number 1, 6 and 11 on the plan he made sure that any flat that was to use the same channel was at opposite ends of the building. It was like doing a complicated soduku puzzle. 

Once he had that plan in place each resident that understood what he was asking and agreed to trial it changed there channel to the one he recommended and then changed there SSID to confirm this.  EG (Flat X 5ghz Ch6) or (Flat X 2.4ghz Ch6)

This improved the wireless signal in his flat and his neighbours because of this he got increased speeds and range. 

What I am trying to say here is you cant always expect to pull something out of  the box and it just work you need to tune things to there environment. Ok manufactures and service providers try and simplify things for the average user so they don't have to have an understanding of different protocols and technology. 

If you are interested then there is plenty of information on the IEEE 802.11 standards whitepaper. 

There are also documetns published from vendors like Cisco with wireless best practices and solutions but they are more gears towards large networks. 

Links and references:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/365857/slow-broadband-blame-the-neighbours-wi-fi

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21132/change-your-wi-fi-router-channel-to-optimize-your-wireless-sign...

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/four-ways-to-get-the-most-from-your-80211n-wi-fi/122

http://www.wi-fi.org/files/kc/WFA_802_11n_Industry_June07.pdf

Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 61

What a cracking post warrmr
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’