cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 9

Infinity modem/Hub wiring question

Go to solution

I am finally getting FTTP installed tommorow. I have the box installed on the outside wall with the cable to the pole allready fixed. As i understand tommorow the engineer will drill through the wall and connect fibre to a new modem inside the property. This will be connected to the smart hub (Recieved allready in the post) and i require power outlets for both the hub and the modem.

I have installed trunking in the property and wish to utilise for the new connection. Is the cable used for the modem to the hub (comes in the box black with red rj45 connectors) just a standard cat 5 network cable? if so could i install this in the trunking so when the engineer turns up he plugs straight into the modem he will install tommorow? i am hoping to have the modem and hub in seperate rooms!

thanks in advance for your help

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Infinity modem/Hub wiring question

Go to solution
Yes, the connection from the Openreach ONT (similar to a modem) to the home hub, is an Ethernet connection.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Highlighted
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me. Is a cat 5 cable suitable or do i need to go for cat 6? I am wanting to have it cabled in ready to minimise the installation time for the engineer tommorw.

Thankyou 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
Personally, I'd go cat6.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Highlighted
Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
I agree with Webby. Future proof with Cat6
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution
Cat6 but Cat5e will suffice - just not Cat5 !
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
Cat5e will suffice for now but for the future especially with FTTP always go for Cat6
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Not looking to argue, I have Cat6 at home, just curious as to what difference FTTP makes ? 

The Cat6 is for work as I may need to hook up some 10Gb/s kit for staging and this means I can do it at home, but other than that I'm not anticipating anything "normal" at home needing over the capabilities of 5e.

Do you know something about FTTP we don't ???? 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
Doesn't make a blind bit of difference.
0 Ratings