cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DonDino
Expert
Message 1 of 6

Infinity not available for homes connected directly to exchange?

While my street cabinet has got FTTC and I have Infinity broabdand happily ticking along at 38Mbps, a friend of mine who lives two streets down from me, and (I think) his house connects to the local BT exchange directly, **cannot** get Infinity yet.

The distance from his house to the exchange is a bit longer than the distance from my house to my local cabinet, but I'd still think it is within the limits for VDSL service. Is there some inherent difficulty in providing Infinity service to houses that connect directly to the exchange, or is he just unlucky and they haven't enabled his loop yet?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Infinity not available for homes connected directly to exchange?

fttc needs a cabinet or two
0 Ratings
DonDino
Expert
Message 3 of 6

Well yes, but the whole point of FTTC is to connect the exchange to the street cabinet with fibres that can run at many Gbps. If you are connected directly to the exchange, surely you must be able to get the same speed or better, as you're just bypassing the exchange-to-cabinet fibre-optic step.

The fiibre from the exchange to the cabinet avoids the attenuation of the DSL signal that happens when copper wires run for such long distances. If you're just bypassing that, you should still be able to get the same speed. Unless there is another technical issue at the exchange that I'm not aware of.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 6

the technical issue is that fibre requires the cabinet to run to
hence the name
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Exchange only lines are currently unable to get infinity service due to interference caused by the vdsl signal affecting the exchange equipment
This is why the current cabinet technology is used to revive that problem

There are options being looked into including fibre to premises and also connecting current exchange only lines to new cabinets located outside the exchange buildings

The number of exchange only lines is very low when compared to lines going to cabinets

A high number of exchange only lines tend to either very close to the exchange or business lines in town centres
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Chaoss
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Your bummed the same as me, if you connect directly to the exchange say hello to several more years of ADSL speeds (until satallite/4g speeds match+exceed infinity speeds). If BT actually allow us to get FTTH I'll eat my hat.

I'm in Central London and because my line is connected directly to the exchange I cannot get Infinity in any form currently. I also cannot get Virgin as it would 'cost to much' for them to run the cables to our building and is 'not economical'. So I'm left with ADSL... which I will admit I actually get quite good speeds on for what it is, getting a solid 19.25 down and solid 1.095mb up. Still would much prefer the upload of Infinity though.

0 Ratings