cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Infinity on new development - where is it?

I currently enjoy Infinity 2 at highly satisfactory speeds (most of the time).
We have just put a deposit on a Newbuild on a major development (1500 houses). To my amazement there is no fibre AT ALL. No fibre to the property, no fibre to the cabinet - NO FIBRE AT ALL.
This is not some sleepy backwater - it's a major growth area.
What the hell are BT playing at? Do I really have to buy a house in South Korea to get decent broadband?
How do I encourage BT to sort themselves out?
I have an address and a Post Code if anyone cares.
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Infinity on new development - where is it?

Its Openreach that provide the infrastructure, when there are sufficient orders from ISPs, like BT Retail, Sky, TalkTalk.

Once this happens, then the planning process can take place, which can take quite a long time.

If you are moving onto a new build, then you may have to wait for Openreach to provide the basic infrastructure for your phone connection, depending on whether the builders have provided ducting etc.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Yes, it's Openreach who are dragging their heels! How does one chivy them up?
Who is the MD of Openreach?
Incidentally, there may not be sufficient orders as the houses are being built!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 12

Is it not up to the developer to coronate with openreach for that kind of thing? i recently came across this http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/network/developingournetwork/documentationandinformation/builde... which seems to be the guide lines for new build property. of course maby the developers have contracted with a different suppler like a housing development here in carlisle which exculively uses solway communications for its phone/braudband

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

I'd stay well away till you know for definite there is going to be a fibre broadband infrastructure in place.  Far too many of these new build estates have been suffering the same problem with poor ADSL broadband.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 6 of 12

If having an Infinity connection is important to you, then it's something you need to look out for before paying a deposit on anywhere.

It does seem that having good internet speeds is something people are looking out for when choosing their next home

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 7 of 12

Which makes you wonder why developers aren't engaging with Openreach for fibre.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 12

The provision of fibre connections should be made a condition of granting planning permission, just like water and electricity.

What county are you in ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

We moved into a new build estate in 08, Infinity just hit our estate in March of this year. Smack in the middle of Rugby. They are slow slow slow.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Currently in Oxfordshire but considering a deposit on a house in South Korea.
The development is shared between 5 major builders - they all want Fibre yesterday but BT are just slow, slow, slow!
Should be renationalised and whipped into shape!
0 Ratings