cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markelly
Message 1 of 15

Infinity on poor lines

Ok I have asked this question on one of those online helper thingys online on the BT site, but the person answering really didn't sound that confident to me.

We have very poor internet here should be 2 meg but it's around 1 most of the time. The reason for this is an old/poor exchange and lines.  Now, if we swap to infinity will the speed be effected by the line etc....  On the checker it's telling me 30 meg??

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 15

Re: Infinity on poor lines

@markelly wrote:

Ok I have asked this question on one of those online helper thingys online on the BT site, but the person answering really didn't sound that confident to me.

We have very poor internet here should be 2 meg but it's around 1 most of the time. The reason for this is an old/poor exchange and lines.  Now, if we swap to infinity will the speed be effected by the line etc....  On the checker it's telling me 30 meg??

The speed checker is normally conservative in what it tells you. You could get more than the 30mb it's telling you.

The line distance is now based on the distance from the Cabinet not the exchange with fibre.

As long as you did the check with your telephone number and not the postcode/address you should be okay.

Remember its new fibre up to the cabinet, and only copper from the cab to the house.

t7710.gif

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
DrMagical
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

I live in the middle of nowhere about 4 miles from the exchange, I have a very poor line, my max download speed for the last 7 to 8 years has been 1 Mb/s down. But earlier this week had infinity fitted and have 22Mb/s down now! You'll be really pleased.
0 Ratings
wildthing666
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

I seem to have a poor connection too, the line checker said I should get a maximum of 29.5Mb but my connection download speed done less than 30 minutes ago, around 00:20 said 1702k down & 612k up and I am less than 800 meters from the infinity cabinet and 0.5 miles from the exchamge and stuck with a 2 year contract.

I am that fed up that I could connect my mobile and get a faster connection than the infinity is giving me, I know because I held off getting a BB package until infinity became available and my connection was over 6Mb using a mobile phone as the modem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

@wildthing666 wrote:

I seem to have a poor connection too, the line checker said I should get a maximum of 29.5Mb but my connection download speed done less than 30 minutes ago, around 00:20 said 1702k down & 612k up and I am less than 800 meters from the infinity cabinet and 0.5 miles from the exchamge and stuck with a 2 year contract.

I am that fed up that I could connect my mobile and get a faster connection than the infinity is giving me, I know because I held off getting a BB package until infinity became available and my connection was over 6Mb using a mobile phone as the modem.

Can you do a speed test at www.speedtester.bt.com please and post the results?

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
bernardoparrot
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

If you don't get the speed promised, (contractual speed), you need to kick some a**e.

The problem is, BT Retail sell the product, but Openreach provide the infrastructure, telling BT what the theoretical speed is.

Openreach is a Stalinist era organisation. A monopoly of course, except where there's Virgin Cable enabled. They won't speak to you, you can only complain via BT. To find out about yr situation, where/how far yr cabinet is or the quality of the line leading to yr home, you need to ask the Openreach installing engineer, or those on sunsequent visits attempting to improve yr speed.

Do not waste time with the Indian call centre, pleasant as they are, they can't do anything other than send ineffectual emails to U.K. Complain direct to BT Sales Mgr Waren Buckley, either on twitter or email, he will refer yr problem to Executive Level Complaints who will eventually get Openreach to do something.

In my case, BT promised me 30.7M, post installation I was getting 15- 18M. It took numerous Openrach engineer visits and months befor my speed was achieved. One thing I learnt fm the installing engineer was that my cabinet was over 600yds away, with the last 200 being in aluminium, in his words "poor", I would use a diff 4 letter word. Openreach website used to boast an all copper network, they seem to have dropped that, along with no more than 200yds fm the cabinet, another claim. In my case Openreach resolutely refused to replace the substandard aluminium, but did everything else poss to boast my speed, including some internal rewiring, normally a big no no, also looked for a "better line" for me in the road bundle. As they had difficulty in finding a better spare line,  I suspect they swapped my line with a neighbour, who coincidently reported a sudden deteriation in his line at the same time.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 15

@bernardoparrot wrote:

If you don't get the speed promised, (contractual speed), you need to kick some a**e.

Any chance you can point to the link where it states that it is a  contractual speed.Smiley Wink

Might help these poor customers to kick a**e

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
wildthing666
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Those speeds where from the http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ site last night just after midnight seems my download speed is capped lower than my theoretical maximum upload speed of 2000 k 

This is a test just done now

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
 2016 Kbps

0 Kbps1935 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

> Download speedachieved during the test was - 2016 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-1935 Kbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is -1935 Kbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 568 Kbps

0 Kbps2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 568 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2000 Kbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 15

@wildthing666 wrote:

Those speeds where from the http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ site last night just after midnight seems my download speed is capped lower than my theoretical maximum upload speed of 2000 k 

This is a test just done now

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
 2016 Kbps

0 Kbps1935 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

> Download speedachieved during the test was - 2016 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-1935 Kbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is -1935 Kbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 568 Kbps

0 Kbps2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 568 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2000 Kbps

Hi,

Did you get your noisy line problem sorted:

http://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/Noise-on-the-line/m-p/296297#M12101

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
wildthing666
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Any chance you can point to the link where it states that it is a contractual speed.Smiley Wink

Might help these poor customers to kick a**e
toekneem

I think the poster may be referring to the maximum theoretical speed that BT advise will be available from your line when you check what service can be provided using the BT website
0 Ratings