cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 11 of 54

Re: Infinity option 2 80/20 but only receiving 40/10

So do you know why im only getting around 27mb since ive moved in?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 54

That's because it's as high as your IP profile is set to. Generally that's due to it being as high as it can be based on what your modem is syncing at. Did the engineer say what the max speed should be?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 54

@xxallitaxx wrote:
So do you know why im only getting around 27mb since ive moved in?

Because you have moved further away from the street cabinet serving your phone line, this means that your max speed will be slower than before.

Your phone line that you have now compared to the line you had in your old property may also be of lower quality which does effect the speed you can get.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 14 of 54

yes he said we should be getting the same speeds as we did when we lived across the road which averaged at around 60mbps with the same modem. He said when he went to the exchange box (which is only round the corner)i it was set to only 40/10.....which is why he told us to explain this to our service provider(which I did). They then kept telling me I was already on 80/20. Again the engineer said they would say this but it needs changing in order to get these higher speeds . I dont know who to talk to as I keep getting told different things like, you cant have high speeds.......we will escalate your call.......we will re order your service.......you need to pay more money for a higher contract????? really confusing.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 15 of 54

we only moved across the road! lol and the exchange box is round the corner. plus the house weve moved into is a brand new build with new wiring????
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 54

Well, he was wrong about you being on 40/10 so maybe he didn't know what he was doing. He may have done a bad install. If I was you I would insist on getting a proper engineer to check it out.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 54

@xxallitaxx wrote:
yes he said we should be getting the same speeds as we did when we lived across the road which averaged at around 60mbps with the same modem. He said when he went to the exchange box (which is only round the corner)i it was set to only 40/10.....which is why he told us to explain this to our service provider(which I did). They then kept telling me I was already on 80/20. Again the engineer said they would say this but it needs changing in order to get these higher speeds . I dont know who to talk to as I keep getting told different things like, you cant have high speeds.......we will escalate your call.......we will re order your service.......you need to pay more money for a higher contract????? really confusing.

Not all phone lines are the same, so it would be impossible to get the same speed as before once you have moved house. It looks like you have been set to the max speed your line can handle.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 54

What does the dsl checker say your line should give you? Pop your phone number in here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 54

@xxallitaxx wrote:
we only moved across the road! lol and the exchange box is round the corner. plus the house weve moved into is a brand new build with new wiring????

Are the phone lines served by a telephone pole or are they underground?

If they are underground then moving accross the road can result in a big loss of speed due to the lines have to go into a loop and therefore your line will be a lot further from the cabinet than before.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 20 of 54

Both the engineers sent were from bt, and when I spoke to a person over the phone I asked them to read me both reports and they had both reported it being on 40/10 at the exchange. So its weird how they both say the same thing. They have now said if I want another engineer I have to pay £99 . This is so stressful.
0 Ratings