cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
worcsjon
Message 1 of 13

Infinity postponed for a fifth consecutive quarter - can anyone beat that?

I live in Worcester St Johns. According to BT, our exchange has had Infinity for well over a year; indeed you can see the cabinet with the adverts from our house. We were promised it on our line in Feb 11, then at the end of March 11. On the 20th March it was postponed to June. On the 20th of June it was slipped to September. The same happened in September, and again in December, and again this March. BT claim its nothing to do with them, as its all down to 'wholesale', AKA BT Wholesale.

That's five consecutive quarters of empty promises from BT, and six in total. Can any other area beat this? And do BT Wholesale employ the same cynical algorithm in other areas???

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Infinity postponed for a fifth consecutive quarter - can anyone beat that?

The roll out is being done by Openreach not BT Wholesale.

There's many reasons for delays including road works, planning permission and collasped ducts, all of which can take a very long time to sort out. If you're unlucky and your cab is subjected to a couple of these delays, could well be the reason why it's delayed.

They don't delay it for no reason because ultimately, the quicker the cabs are installed, the quicker they can start making money - something which every business wants!
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Wh1t3Kn1ght
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Hi Both, I'm in Barbourne area of Worcester and same has happened in my area - even though the cabinet was installed two weeks ago.

Webby - you might of missed the OPs original message but he did state that the FTTC cabinet has been installed for some time and even has Infinity adverts stuck on it!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

It might still be a case of collapsed ducts so the fibre cable can't be blown down to the cab. Could be power issues too - again out of BT's control.

The cabinet is just a metal shell, doesn't really signify anything.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Wh1t3Kn1ght
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Could be but then it is all just wild speculation so not really a helpful answer 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

There must be a reason though as I mentioned in my first post. Openreach wouldn't have a cab ready for service and not enable it.

It's a money generator at the end of the day. If it was all sorted, they would have it live.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
simondup
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

I have a theory....BT likes to announce exchanges going live or planned. In order for an exchange to go live it needs to have 10 cabs connected.
So once a exchange is live they prefer to allocate resources to cabs required for the next exchange so that the next exchange is not seen as delayed. Sure they will get around to those with delays in time but are chasing their tails to work on the next one.
0 Ratings
udoh
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

The Saltash Exchange in Cornwall, and we have been postponed for the twice already, but with no notification from anyone, even though we have shown interest and asked to be told.

They added some cabinets to the estate the other week, but still nothing.

It's not so much that they postpone it, it's the fact they no one bothers to communicate any more, and for a company that deals in communications, it's really sad.

0 Ratings
beefqueen
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

It's also not correct to say that Infinity is a money generator for BT.  I (stupidly) signed up to BT Broadband when I moved house in December, as the checker was indicating that Infinity would be available by the end of December.  That was then postponed to the end of March and then, this week, they've pushed it back to June, with no explantion given.  There's a cabinet that I believe I'm connected to sitting in the street, with clearly naff all being done by one part of BT to put it into service. 

The Infinity and my Broadband/phone/TV package are the same price; in other words, I'm paying the same amount of money for a poorer product than people living a few streets away from me.  It's passing the buck for one bit of BT to blame another bit - while they may have Chinese walls, it still means that BT Group is profiting from not pulling its finger out and getting this installed properly.

It's ridiculous that someone living in central London (a mile from parliament) can't get decent broadband and BT provide no explanation for why it's not being provided.  Their products are overpriced, their service is abysmal and, quite frankly, they're bordering on deceiving their customers.  No wonder most senisble people wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.   

0 Ratings
beefqueen
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

And, by the way, my cabinet was in 'Phase 5a' of the rollout, which, if I understand it correctly, should have bee done in 2010/11. As I said, rubbish, rubbish service...
0 Ratings