cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NathanJT
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Infinity profile being driven down due to regular powercuts.

Hi all,

I'm unfortunate enough to live in an area which, for god knows what reason, suffers many regular powercuts. At times it can be 2 or 3 a week!

Now, having moved from Infinity 1, at which point I was getting ~35Mbps/~9.5Mbps, to Infinity 2 where I was getting ~55Mbps/~19Mbps I'm now lucky to get above 15Mbps down and 10 up.

I realise that the IP profile it tailored based on the consistency of the line, rating downwards to achieve a solid connection. However in this instance I don't believe it's due to line characteristics, rather the poor mains power we have and the outages therein.

Anyone have any ideas how I might approach BT on this? If I call CS I think I'll basically just get all the way through their script and end up in the "other" field of their DB. I've had poor experiences with BT CS in the past so I'm not exactly relishing the idea of having to explain this one to them!

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Infinity profile being driven down due to regular powercuts.

The answer maybe is to buy a small UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) and plug the Openreach modem into it.

I have a UPS on all of my mains driven computer stuff, the rest runs off a 12V battery backup system.

We used to get a lot of power cuts, but its only every couple of months now.

0 Ratings
NathanJT
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Well, agreed, that's an answer to solving the problem going forward (annoyingly we haven't had any powercuts now in about 3-4 weeks) however that's not going to help me getting the IP profile reset.

0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 4 of 9

If the line's been good for 3 to 4 weeks then DLM should have started recovering automatically.  

If you haven't already done so, disconnect and reconnect the router (NOT the modem).  You can do this from the router's home page ( http://192.168.1.254 ).  Sometimes, DLM (at the cabinet) allows the speed to rise and your cabinet<-->modem speed raises, but the BRAS/IP profile (at the exchange) is not updated to match.  The router disconnect/reconnect will force an update of the BRAS/IP profile to match your current sync speed.

Sometimes, DLM does seem to get stuck and not raise the sync speed.  That can be 'correct' behaviour of DLM because of continued problems on the line, but sometimes seems to get stuck anyway.  For either of those you will have to ask for help: 

Try the mods at: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951. But be aware they take 3 working days to reply: sometimes more if busy.

0 Ratings
NathanJT
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Thanks, I've tried restarting the router, this has no effect at all. I normally use a Netgear WNDR3700 router rather than the HH3 simply because the HH doesn't do half of what I need, however I've gone back to this to test and it's still the same.

I'll try the mods as I think this could well be outside of the normal script of CS.

Thanks again,

Nathan

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 6 of 9

@NathanJT wrote:

Thanks, I've tried restarting the router, this has no effect at all. I normally use a Netgear WNDR3700 router rather than the HH3 simply because the HH doesn't do half of what I need, however I've gone back to this to test and it's still the same.

I'll try the mods as I think this could well be outside of the normal script of CS.

Thanks again,

Nathan

Definately outside normal CS script. Even the mods may not be able to help. A UPS may not as the power to the cab will be interrupted unless it is on a different phase to you and you not having a power cut may not mean the cab won't.

That said if it were the cab suffering power cuts Openreach would be onto the supplier to get it sorted.

As you say the Mods are you best bet to sort it for you.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

the cabs have battery back up
NathanJT
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Hi all, firstly I hope you've all had a good holiday and a great new year!

Secondly I got a response from one of the mods within a matter of hours, their suggestion being the UPS. So, over the break I borrowed one from work and had it supporting all the devices necessary (and my Synology). The irony being however that we've not now had a powercut for weeks. interestingly though about 5 days ago (and probably 2 months since I started noticing the ramp down and 5-6 weeks since our last powercut) our speed has come back up to almost the same as it was prior to all this.

I've returned the UPS this morning, but I'm very much considering getting one. However it seems it didn't help (or wouldn't have been the reason for) getting the speed back up this time around. I guess either my profile was reset, or the profiler simply decided it was time to give my line a break and ramped it back up.

0 Ratings
REITSY
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

I have exactly the same issue. My IP Profile speed for downloads has dropped around 2Mb after each power cut or power cycle on the fibre modem. Spent a couple of months at 77/20 then dropped to 73/20 after a couple of power cuts in the summer then into the 60s and after my RCD switch flicking after a light bulb blew last week I am now at 61/20 😞

Openreach came out in the autumn and tested everything and were happy my line was fine but they refused to reset the profile as the engineer couldn't find a dept. who did it. I have emailed the mods in the hope someone can reset my profile so I can enjoy the speeds which I know my line can support.

0 Ratings