Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Philco
Beginner
Message 1 of 23

Infinity roll out delayed again for another 9 months

Hi,

I've been patiently waiting for my local exchange to be fibre enabled so I can upgrade from 1mb to 35mb broadband,

I have just logged onto the infinity website to be told that the expected delivery of infinity is now December 2014..

All I want to know is why the massive delay again considering it has slipped twice.

My area is dunton Bedfordshire and the exchange I am connected to is number 10,

Regards

M
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 23

Re: Infinity roll out delayed again for another 9 months

You should be asking Openreach as BT Retail (this ISP) won't know.

Can I ask, what difference does it make why it's been delayed?
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 23

Up until recently you could email Openreach and ask when your cabinet was likely to be upgraded however Openreach are no longer giving out that information, instead they are replying:-

Thank you for your contact to us. Please note that we will not be responding to you by email but, would like to point you to the Openreach Superfast Fibre website and the FAQ section that will provide answers to the most commonly asked questions. It will also provide links to those service providers that sell fibre broadband at the moment so you can check if your particular line is enabled.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

So in short, you just need to keep checking to see if your cabinet has been up graded. 

Keep using this checker and it will show when your cabinet has been upgraded.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

Within an exchange area there will be some customers who can't get BT Infinity. There are several reasons why this could be the case:

Your phone line may be connected directly to the telephone exchange and not to a local street cabinet.
Your line may be too far from the local street cabinet to have a stable BT Infinity service.
Your local street cabinet may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
We haven't yet got the council's planning permission to do the necessary work at your local street cabinet.
So, even though you may be within an enabled exchange area, it's possible that your particular line may not be able to have BT Infinity yet
0 Ratings
AndyM153
Beginner
Message 5 of 23

Re: Infinity roll out delayed again

I am in the St. Asaph Exchange area of North Wales - Bodelwyddan. The Fibre Cabinet in our village has already been wired up but now our availability date has moved yet again - from September 14 to December 14. This is an area where we have a lot of empty factory premises and a major hospital. The big fibre cable runs down the A55 which is alongside the village. So why the delay in upgrading our infrastructure yet again?  By the way, if you try to contact BT Openreach about this matter they seem to have cut off the phone line and replaced ot with a recorded message, they will only speak to you if you are a Developer or Planner.

Rev. Andrew Miller - Member of Bodelwyddan Town Council.

0 Ratings
worlds6440
Beginner
Message 6 of 23

Hi,

Myself and other fellow Dunton villagers have also been waiting for the upgrade. I was initially promised it for June 2013. The date was surprisingly rolled forward to March 2013. Since then, the date has been pushed back a few times and is currently between now and December 2014.

A fair old wait since the original March 2013.

The new cabinet has already been installed at the edge of the village, and apparently is already cabled up. Unfortunately I have no confirmation of that.

We cannot directly contact Openreach as they do not talk direct to customers. We have to deal with BT. I have done so, even raised it to an Executive Level Complaint. After about a month of waiting on the complaint, they came back with a "Sorry, we aren't getting any information from Openreach". So I pretty much had to drop the issue with them.

As of writing this reply, I just received an email from our local MP which contains some devistating news. After waiting about 19 months from BT's initial promised upgrade date, apparently BT's detailed survey has found out that the cost of installing it is ‘above the threshold for inclusion in the plan’.

Basically, there is now no clear upgrade date and it could easily be pushed back several years. Central Beds will be in negotiations with BT on how to progress this issue, but again, this could take some time.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Please note, I will not stop talking to BT and the relevant parties until we have decent broadband in the village.

0 Ratings
docorangepeel
Beginner
Message 7 of 23

Hello all,

Just to let you all know it's now Jan 2016 and the Dunton exchange (2-3 miles from the A1 & Biggleswade Bedfordshire) STILL hasn't been upgraded.  Dunton continues to only gets 1.0-1.5Mbs down and 600-700Kbs up.  

How can this Infinity upgrade take so long!  ! BT Get on with it !  

Gavin

Dunton home owner.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

What is your postcode?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
gt94sss2
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 23

docorangepeel wrote:Just to let you all know it's now Jan 2016 and the Dunton exchange (2-3 miles from the A1 & Biggleswade Bedfordshire) STILL hasn't been upgraded.  Dunton continues to only gets 1.0-1.5Mbs down and 600-700Kbs up.  

I don't think Dunton has its own telephone exchange - instead its connected to Biggleswade.

It looks like BT/Openreach upgraded most of the Biggleswade exchange in 2012/13 - as such I assume your area was unviable for their commerical project.

As such, the people you should chase for updates in Dunton are not BT/Openreach but BDUK Bedfordshire and Milton Keynes who are then responsible for upgrading your area.

Please see http://www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/local-business/broadband/broadband-plans.aspx

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 23

@gg30340 wrote:

Up until recently you could email Openreach and ask when your cabinet was likely to be upgraded however Openreach are no longer giving out that information, instead they are replying:-

Thank you for your contact to us. Please note that we will not be responding to you by email but, would like to point you to the Openreach Superfast Fibre website and the FAQ section that will provide answers to the most commonly asked questions. It will also provide links to those service providers that sell fibre broadband at the moment so you can check if your particular line is enabled.

Not true, I emailed Openreach about when our fibre cabinet was going to be upgraded for more customers and I received an email back from them after the email shown above.

0 Ratings