Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
plusman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Infinity - some questions before I get it

BT Infinity has now rolled out in my area and I have some questions before I take the plunge. I'd be grateful if somebody could help me with the following:

I currently have a normal ADSL service (nominally ca. 7Mb download speed). According to the Broadband speed checker I should be able to get ca. 20Mb download speed with Infinity. Currently I have an internal telephone extension running from the master socket to an upstairs room where my current Wireless-N router (A Netgear DG834N) is situated. I have the router based here as it gives a good wireless coverage across the whole house - previously when I had it near the master socket the wireless signal in some of the upstairs rooms was very poor.

1. Why is the speed indication delivering only ca. 20Mb rather than the 40Mb download speed? (Does the final X metres of copper wire really make that much difference).

2. I realise that I won't be able to use my existing modem/router and that BT will fit a new Infinity HH. How good is this as a wireless router ( in terms of area covered).

3. Can the Infinity HH be installed where I currently have my existing router (i.e. at the end of my existing internal telephone extension)? Or will BT have to install a new extension if I want to place it where the router currently is?

4. If I have the Infinity HH installed downstairs near my master socket, can I run e.g. an Ethernet cable up to my existing router and potentially use this as a upstairs wireless repeater? Or can anybody recommend what device I could use as a repeater?

5. We currently have a dialler on our burglar alarm wired into the back of the master socket (it dials out to a control centre if the alarm goes off). Will this need to be modified in any way when the Infinity HH is installed or is the existing telephone connection not affected in any way?

6. Will I still need to use microfilters?

7. Looking at some of the comments about the FUP cap, I am confused as to what the size of the "unlimited" cap is? Can anybody explain what the level is? Also, is it affected by the time period (e.g. peak compared to off-peak) when the downloads occur?

8. Is BT Infinity still prone to varying speeds depending on the time of day (i.e. slows down a lot during peak hours) and is the contention rate any different?

Sorry for the number of questions, but I can't seem to find the answers elsewhere. Many thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
plusman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 3

Re: Infinity - some questions before I get it

Can anybody help?

0 Ratings
andylong42
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Infinity - some questions before I get it

I have recently had Infinity installed so will try and answer!

1. Why is the speed indication delivering only ca. 20Mb rather than the 40Mb download speed? (Does the final X metres of copper wire really make that much difference).

Must be the case - I get about 20Mb and the cab is about 800m straight line distance from my house

2. I realise that I won't be able to use my existing modem/router and that BT will fit a new Infinity HH. How good is this as a wireless router ( in terms of area covered).

So far, very good - wireless N with a decent range covers my 3-bed semi 

3. Can the Infinity HH be installed where I currently have my existing router (i.e. at the end of my existing internal telephone extension)? Or will BT have to install a new extension if I want to place it where the router currently is?

The Openreach engineer can run a cable from your master socket and place a new data point anywhere within 30m. They did a great job of mine, including pinning neatly around doors and even drilling through a door frame.

4. If I have the Infinity HH installed downstairs near my master socket, can I run e.g. an Ethernet cable up to my existing router and potentially use this as a upstairs wireless repeater? Or can anybody recommend what device I could use as a repeater?

Not sure on this one - you could run ethernet form the hub to a WAP such as a netgear device. Not sure if your existing router can be used as a WAP only.

5. We currently have a dialler on our burglar alarm wired into the back of the master socket (it dials out to a control centre if the alarm goes off). Will this need to be modified in any way when the Infinity HH is installed or is the existing telephone connection not affected in any way?

No idea!

6. Will I still need to use microfilters?

I believe the new faceplate is filtered.

7. Looking at some of the comments about the FUP cap, I am confused as to what the size of the "unlimited" cap is? Can anybody explain what the level is? Also, is it affected by the time period (e.g. peak compared to off-peak) when the downloads occur?

It has been confirmed at 300GB for a 30 day period.

8. Is BT Infinity still prone to varying speeds depending on the time of day (i.e. slows down a lot during peak hours) and is the contention rate any different?

I haven't noticed this yet, but my service is just over a week old. Certainly much more consistent than my old Virgin cable connection. 

0 Ratings