cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_Andrew_
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Infinity speed and customer support frustrations

I've had Infinity for a while now and for a long time had no issues and was hitting 76Mbps downstream and 19Mbps upstream consistently. A few weeks back, the phone line started to decrease in quality until eventually having no dialtone at all and our speeds dropped to around 18Mbps downstream and 4Mbps upstream as well as the connection dying completely fairly frequently.

We've since had an engineer visit (which will have cost us £129.99) and he did some work on the wiring and the phone line is now crystal clear and the connection is rock solid; it hasn't dropped once since the work was carried out. However, our DLM profile seems to have stayed locked at 18Mbps/4Mbps.

I contacted customer support about this and asked for our DLM profile to be reset. We've had this problem before, even without the line fault, and a click of a button at the other end seemed to immediately resolve the speed issues. This time, though, there seems to be a refusal to push through the DLM reset. I've been told that connection drops have been detected and are the reason that the speed is still locked. If there is genuinely still a line fault then I would certainly look to claim back the £129.99 engineer call out charge as it would mean he didn't do his job but I certainly don't believe this to be the case.

I've been using the internet frequently with no issues, aside from the massively cut-back speeds, and our home hub reports a connection time that shows there haven't been any unexpected drops. Instead of just spending a little time to reset the DLM, my issue has been transferred to another department who I'm now waiting to here from and has an expected resolution date of the 15th which is a little absurd. I'm getting under a quarter of the speeds I'm paying for and just want this sorted as quickly as possible.

[Edited for typo]

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Infinity speed and customer support frustrations

unlike adsl where mods could reset your connection when on infinity you need an engineer visit to get a line reset.  however you will not get an engineer callout just for a reset you need to have phone/broadband problem before engineer visit arranged

there are other posts just like your

sooner ISP/mod get the authority the better for the customer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
_Andrew_
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

As I mentioned, I literally just had an engineer call out to fix the fault which caused the slowdown in the first place. So what am I supposed to do? To intentionally sabotage my own wiring to force another call out and have to pay another £129.99? That seems like a ridiculous set up. The only real option I have then is to leave BT I guess.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

A phone engineer normally don't reset your conenction whereas a broadband engineer may reset your conenction.  you can complain tp customer services that th eengineer should have reset your conenction after the fault was fixed and try and get another engineer back

do you know if you have been charged for the engineer visit and you are always advised about the charge when you get engineer visit but you are not always charged depending if problem was in your home setup/wiring or not

if you are still in contract then cancellation charges may be high

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
_Andrew_
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Ok, thanks, I'll give that a try. The annoyance there is that my original complaint I raised was about the broadband but BT moved the complaint over to the phone department (I hillariously had a member of the support team try and tell me that my phone handset was the cause of my bad broadband speeds at this point) so if they hadn't done that then there is a chance that the engineer would've made the reset request and I wouldn't now have this problem.

Whilst normally cancellation charges might be high, I would certainly hope that the fact I'm not being provided with the service I'm in contract for would make that void. There is no way that less than 1/4 of the speeds I'm paying for can count as being fair service.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@_Andrew_ wrote:

Whilst normally cancellation charges might be high, I would certainly hope that the fact I'm not being provided with the service I'm in contract for would make that void. There is no way that less than 1/4 of the speeds I'm paying for can count as being fair service.

I think you are optimistic

0 Ratings
_Andrew_
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Maybe, but I don't see a leg for them to stand on. I'll sure as hell fight it all the way. From the very start they've messed me around. Having been told there should be little to no downtime after transferring from my previous provider and that I'd be able to keep my phone number, there was over a month of downtime with no phone or internet and I didn't get to keep my phone number either. I've had thanfully few situations requiring dealing with customer support but it has been consistently poor when I have had need.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

you will not get away without cancellation charges I am afraid it has been tried and failed
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Your best option is leave the connection alone and let the DLM reset the connection automatically

This link explains the way the DLM works http://community.plus.net/library/browsing/fttc-dlm-what-it-is-how-it-works
0 Ratings