cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Infinity speed dramatically reduced

Hey guys , i recently had infinity installed a week ago , up untill yesterday i was getting speeds of around 37meg down and 8meg up, now i only get speeds of 5meg down and 8meg up, i havent altered anything, all the wiring has been untouched since the engineer left it i have done a speed test , is there anything i can do to rectify this problem

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Infinity speed dramatically reduced

Hi Madgaz

Several questions - Are you connecting wirelessly or wired?

Have you used the BT speedtester http://community.bt.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/BTInfinity/message-id/16621 as this will show what your profile is. Your profile is important as this is the maximum speed that the system considers is stable on your line.

Turning your hub and modem off too many times in the training period can fool the system into thinking there is a fault on your line.

Please post the results of your test.

If connecting by ethernet, have you looked at your PC in the devices section of the HomeHUb  to see what speed it is connecting you to the hub - are you using the gigabit or one of the other ports?

probably enough questions for now!

Michael

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

I'm connected through wire , I hope my profile is good enough as I can see the cabinet I'm connected to just across the street and the engineer said I would get the best speed possible 39.84mg he got with his equiptment and said I shouldn't get much less

I'm at work at the minute ,so ill do the test when u get.home tonight ,thanks for help so far
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

here is my results from the test, my profile says 5meg, this is rubbish im not paying this much money for a connection i had anyway for ten times less a month

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

> Download speedachieved during the test was - 5077 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-5612 Kbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is -5612 Kbps

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

Use this link to fill in a form that the mods will reply to http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

Please post a link back to this thread when filling in the form.

It usually takes about 3 days for a mod to get back to you,but they will.

Hope you get this sorted.

It appears that you need a profile reset,but the mods might be able to help with that.

BTW,have you unplugged your OR modem [the white box] since your install date,if so that might be the reason for the low profile.?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Nope I haven't touched anything , left it as it was left by the engineer one thing I can think of is , I have disconnected.my laptop from the Ethernet cable a few times , will they be able to fix it.if this is the case
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 10

The mods might be able to help get your profile reset,I only asked about the OR modem because it is the prime cause of profiles dropping if it is reset during the trial period [10 days].
You might need an engineer visit to reset your exchange profile,but the mods will be able to advise you better that me.

The Ethernet cable to your devices [laptop] can be disconnected as many times as you want as it has nothing to do with your dropped profile.But a bit of advice [hope you don`t mind],always turn of your laptop before removing or plugging in cables.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

You also might want to watch this thread which has similar issues to see hopefully the eventual solution.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Speed-Issues/td-p/303809/page/3

btw I am not suggestion you connect direct to the Modem as in that thread.

Be best for you to wait for the mods advice/help.

And confirming Ironman's comment about the connecting and disconnecting of the ethernet cable to your PC/Laptop  not being the cause of the problem.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

Hi,

Could you check your hub to see how long you have been connected - if it's only a short while, this could mean that your broadband has been dropping out - this can make the exchange equipment lower your profile - but yours is a very drastic drop!

I'm sure the angels from Northern Ireland will be able to help!

Good Luck

Michael

0 Ratings