Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joshbear11
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Infinity speed low due to old equipment

hi all

i come here straight from an hour with an online chat assistant that was less than useful and would appreciate any help.   

I have bt Infinity 2 and my equipment is the bt modem I was given in 2011 and an apple AirPort Extreme.  The latest version.  I was also issued with a home hub 3. I still have this but don't use it. 

I am am getting wired speeds of about 42mbps and wireless of 38.   Recently we stayed in a house with the same bt infinity package but using a home hub 5 and we got speeds of 70+Mbps on the same devices we use at home.  

I have done a search on my postcode at home and apparently bt infinity 2 should bring speeds up to 70+

Is is it likely that my very old by modem is causing the lower speed?  And.  If I did buy a homehub 5 or the new smart hub my wired and wireless speeds would improve?   Finally if I wanted to continue to use my apple extremes I have around the house can I with the home hub 5 or smart hub. 

Thanks

josh

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Infinity speed low due to old equipment

Can you run this checker http://www.dslchecker.bt.com for your number and post a screenshot of the result.

Can you also run the further diagnostics test on this site http://speedtest.btwholesale.com again post up a screenshot of the result. This test must be done with a wired connection.

Is your modem plugged into the master socket? Or an extension socket?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Joshbear11
Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Hi,

Thanks for the response.  Data as requested.

Josh

Screen Shot 2016-08-20 at 19.42.38.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-20 at 19.43.35.png

0 Ratings
Joshbear11
Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Oh and modem is plugged direct into the master socket and then the AirPort Extreme into that.

Thanks
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Do you have extension sockets? Can you remove the factplate from the master socket and connect to the test socket?

Can you run the "further diagnostics test" on the wholesale speedtest site as it gives us a bit more information such as your IP profile, which we can use to work out your connection rate.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Joshbear11
Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Hi I don't have any extension sockets. I use other airport extremes around the house to get reasonably consistent signal throughout.
Don't think I can get access to the test socket.
0 Ratings
Joshbear11
Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Hi  the further test.  Does this show that actually the max on my line is 45?  if so why does my postcode say 70+ on the BT website?

thanks again.

Josh

Screen Shot 2016-08-20 at 20.47.15.png

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

You need an engineer visit.
0 Ratings
Joshbear11
Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Hi. Please could you explain further as to why I need an engineer? Thanks for all the help.

Josh
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Your connection rate is below the lower estimate for your line.
0 Ratings