cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bc1973
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Infinity speed test

Hi all. Just had Infinity installed and I'd like to know how I go about testing the speed I'm getting? Is there a prog or a website I can use?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Infinity speed test

The best site is www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Bc1973
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Ok, so I've run a couple of broadband speed tests over the last couple of days and my speed is far lower than that quoted to me by BT when I applied for INFINITY. I was told I should get speeds of around 63mbps (the engineer said likewise when he installed it) but I'm only getting around 31-32mbps

Should I be concerned? It certainly doesn't feel much quicker than before...

0 Ratings
NorthernAurora
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

I use www.speedtest.net not BT Speedtest or BBMAX. Only Speedtest had been able to push the limits of the connection which for me is in the 70mbs down range. Also use Pingest.net after for accurate ping readings.

Just ran a BT test and it was downloasing at 20 mbps max. For the past 3 weeks I have been doing a speedtest.net test daily and it pushes my connection. I am only a frw mbps off both download and upload from the max.

0 Ratings
tim1964
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

Congrats OP,

You, like many more on a daily basis, are discovering what a con the supposed upgrade to Infinity 2 actually is.

Going by the hundreds of posts on here it appears that there's sod all we can do about it either.

When the new 12 month or 18 month contracts are up it will be interesting to see if any "victims" vote with their feet.

BT are probably hoping that, at the time, we're all too stupid to do anything about it.
0 Ratings
NorthernAurora
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

My speed increase was dramatic and effectivly no contract increase. I applied a week after installation.

0 Ratings
D-ave
Expert
Message 7 of 9

Me too, I think it's inevitable that the small proportion of users who are having problems or complaints will post on a support forum and most of the satisfied ones won't.

I'm happy to have a go at BT when they deserve it (as with their ignoring my email preferences recently when emailing me) but my Infinity connection does what it says on the tin.

0 Ratings
rupertdidlydipole
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

i to are very happy with infinity2. i was estermated at 71meg down and 20 upload. what i really got was download of 74.7 and a upload of 15 meg Smiley Happy before i got infinity i was lucky to get 5meg download.

so yes thankyou bt infinity is worth getting Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
deano3693
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

OP, 

Is this an upgrade to the 76mb speeds, or a new instillation. If it is a new instillation you are probably on the 38/10 package not the 76/20 and you need to upgrade before you see speeds in the range of 60mb. 

IT SUPPORT TECHNICIAN - Comptia A+ Certified, MTA Qualified and MTSC qualified
0 Ratings