Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 44

Infinity upload speed.

Hi,

Had Infinity installed yesterday (with BT Vision).  First things first, brilliant service from BT.  Love the TV box, and my broadband speed is now 6 x faster than it was before (previously around 5mb, now it's 30mb).    Hoping it will eventually head up to around 45mb during training.

Only issue I've got is the upload, which seems to be capped at 0.5.  

So my question is:  How long is the "training period" and what's up with the cap?  Does it automatically drop off the line, or is it permanently there in error?  Should be around 10mb from the line test.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
43 REPLIES 43
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 44

Re: Infinity upload speed.

Some say 3 days, some say 10, some say it doesnt exist.

I think BT use the 'training period' as an excuse to stop people complaining too early!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 3 of 44

The 10 day training period is a myth used to stop people complaining too early as curiousfellow says.  Usually 'real' training settles down around a couple of days, and the DLM mechanism continues monitoring the line for ever.  Training generally slows down a line: it starts flat out as it has no other data to go on other than the best sync speed the modem can get, and then slows a bit as it learns how much it can reliabaly get away with.  

That upload is way too slow, training or not.

Run the speedtest at  http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and after the test choose ‘Further Diagnostics’ and post the speeds and the profiles that this gives.  When we see those we can give a bit more advice.

Are you running wired or wireless?  If at all possible do tests wired.  Wireless can't explain away that sort of upload figure, though.

Highlighted
Guru
Message 4 of 44

It isn't a myth...

Just people believe it will run tests on your line which is wrong, it just simply means the DLM monitor and adjust your line. Once the 10 day period has finished it will set your line to what it believe's is a stable speed. That's why disconnections at the start are vital because it will have an affect on your speed and could take a while to recover due to bad line history.

You can also see if it is still in training or not with an unlocked modem. It's under retrain reason, last time mine took 7 and a half days for the DLM to see and make the line at a stable settled rate.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 44

We had Infinity 2 installed at the end on February and have had an issue with "upload" speed since it was installed. In the letter we received it stated that we would get an upload speed of 18 Mbps. This we took to be an upload throughput of around this speed.

Before I say what has happened here are some other things about the Infinity 2 service we receive. We are about 250 meters from the FTTC cabinet and all the cable route is below ground. The sync rate we get downstream is about 68 Mbps and we recieve about 60Mbps throughput on a regular basis. I have equipment here which monitors my line for various performance parameters so I have complete statistics since the Infinity 2 service was installed.

Now to upload side. This is a totally different story. Our sync rate is 20 Mbps so you would expect a throughput around about 17 Mbps in this direction. We have never ever seen any throughput above 10 Mbps since Infinity 2 was installed. This to me is very poor service from BT Retail.

I even complained about this and got put through to the Newcastle executive escalation team but they can't find the issue and are now sending me a "deadlock" letter because we believe that we should get more than the 10 Mbps that we have seen since the 28 February.

I understand completely about the variability of throughput but when we were first installed on the FTTC cabinet we were the only people on it and even then we never got above 10 Mbps.

Can anyone help?

Infinidim
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side
If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 44

How are you measuring your upload throughput?
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 7 of 44

@ryant704 wrote:

It isn't a myth...

Just people believe it will run tests on your line which is wrong, it just simply means the DLM monitor and adjust your line. Once the 10 day period has finished it will set your line to what it believe's is a stable speed. That's why disconnections at the start are vital because it will have an affect on your speed and could take a while to recover due to bad line history.

You can also see if it is still in training or not with an unlocked modem. It's under retrain reason, last time mine took 7 and a half days for the DLM to see and make the line at a stable settled rate.

This is true, however the 10 day training period doesn't apply for fibre optics, only copper (ADSL).

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 44

I have OFCOM monitoring equipment on my Home Hub 3!
Infinidim
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side
If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 44

@Aarong wrote:

@ryant704 wrote:

It isn't a myth...

This is true, however the 10 day training period doesn't apply for fibre optics, only copper (ADSL).

But ryant704 is on fibre

--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 10 of 44

@infinidim wrote:
I have OFCOM monitoring equipment on my Home Hub 3!

Sounds like the OFCOM monitoring equipment is faulty!

--
0 Ratings