cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JamesEllis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 28

Re: Infinity was great! ... until openreach un-jumpered my fibre for no apparent reason. ......

I have craigS asked me to send him an email with my details on to the team. Ive done that but im currently on hold AGAIN! to customer services.... How is it possible that this company make any money at all?

I know.... they take peoples money and promise to offer a service then dont bother...

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 12 of 28

Re: Infinity was great! ... until openreach un-jumpered my fibre for no apparent reason. ......

Hi JamesEllis,

I've picked up your email so I'll check your account now and get back to you soon.

Thanks,

Stephanie
0 Ratings
JamesEllis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 28

Hi Stephanie thanks for this...

Unfortunately the only response I have had from BT since Tuesday (and Im not talking about on here, cos you guys seem to be all fired up and ready to sort thing out) I mean Ive not had 1 phone call back from BT to tell me what anyone is going to do...

As far as I know so far Ive been told I can have my broadband back, but only in 3 weeks on the 20th December... THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE. It took the engineer 5 minutes to un-jumper my fibre so 3 WEEKS to put it back?!?!?!?!? As an IT professional that relies heavily on a connection at home all I can say is that this is seriously shoddy.

I'd love to keep Infinity as I think its potentially a great product. Unfortunately after only 2 weeks use I cant really sing its praises.

Ive braved the snow and ice to come into work this morning clutching a Sky flyer that was posted through my door with the full intention of telling BT where they can shove their Fibre NON-Broadband, and Telephone AND BT Vision "GOLD" package TV which I cant use either, and getting SKY HD and internet from them. Not only that I will be requesting a full refund and sending all the kit back. Every person I see who owns a computer, I will also be advising to give BT and their DIS-services as wide berth.  As you can appreciate in the IT industry thats a lot of people.

If I dont get some kind of response from BT to the effect that there "is someone in Failsworth Exchange now, and you should be back on by tonight", I'll be ringing 08442 410 492 No that's not "British" Telecom's indian call centre again,..... it's Sky's sales line. Everyone make a note of that number..... I think you might be needing it sometime soon. We'll see .......

0 Ratings
Highlighted
alanchown
Contributor
Message 14 of 28

I can't see how it can be 'your' fibre that's been disconnected as in that case everybody on the cabinet would be disconnected. 'Your' fibre is shared. Not that that helps much in resolving your problem.
0 Ratings
JamesEllis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 28

mate all I know is what my openreach engineer brother tells me happened while he was in the exchange.... he said another engineer had an order in his hand to convert my line back to standard PSTN phone line....

the scary thing is he tells me this isnt an isolated incident and he's known of this happening quite a lot. I mean WTH are they doing over there?.

If he hadnt been stood next to this guy I might be still on the phone to Dehli or wherever and them telling me its a fault. ITS NOT A FAULT! some muppet has disconnected me.

I'm gonna call retentions now. and If Im not back on by tonight I'll be up bright and early tomorrow cancelling the lot!

0 Ratings
JamesEllis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 28

One or two updates on my current situation.... Where do I start?!?! Smiley Sad

Well, I'd love to say this is a good news/bad news situation but barely having a service after 2 weeks can't really be described as good news can it?!?! surely not.

... anyway I digress..... It turns out that when my "Infinity" was disconnected, apparently so was my phone line.... So there goes the (blatantly invented) excuse from BT India that it was due to a technical fault on my "infinity". 

Speaking to my Openreach engineer brother again he said there wasnt a fault, because if there was, a) they wouldn't disconnect my FTTC, they would get an engineer to try and fix it, and b) they wouldn't disconnect my phone line too.... Talk about bull****... Seriously guys you've got to come up with a better excuse than that.

Another call to retentions and they say there is no reason on record at all why my line/connection was disconnected... "maybe just an administrative **bleep** up". Not just me that thinks that then.

After being told essentially that I had no phone line or internet connection, I was told that my infinity had to be re-ordered and the soonest they could get Openreach to do this was 20th December.

The engineer actually turned up last Friday 10th Dec.That's good you might be thinking, but let me assure you this is not the end of the story by any means.

Friday BRILLIANT. 37mb downstream approx... AWESOME!..... Midnight - Sunday night.... No Broadband. Reset router etc. Reset Modem.... no connection.

Monday morning.... Magically I have broadband light back on my Home hub.... WTF?!

Again, Im thinking GREAT... although it was inconvenient I'll get back home from work and be able to use my broadband at full speed...... How wrong I was.... I probably should have learned a lesson by now.

Broadband was working this evening for approximately half an hour at full speed, then suddenly dropped from 37mb downstream to just less than 2mb.... Isolated incident?! I think not..... it seems a whole load of people are experiencing the same problem.

It's now settled down at just shy of 3.5mb/s as you can see from the screenie.

My guess like so many others that have also posted on this forum tonight is that it's "traffic shaping" gone wrong. Looks like they've globally applied a 2mb cap on all the users by accident as if they've all reached their bandwidth limit which is laughable on a product labelled Infinity. Should be called "BT quite fast upto 40mb at really useless times of the night and Not quite infinity slow as **** at any other time when people might actually want to use it."

As far as I'm concerned the problem is far from over as I'm still not receiving a service that I'm paying for..... 

I probably should never have got re-connected. Smiley Mad Good Old British Telecom.... Hoorah!

0 Ratings
JamesEllis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 28

Well wont you look at that! No throttling my ar**.

Just after midnight and speeds back to how they should be.

No doubt come 6pm tomorrow they'll be barely usable again. well played again BT your usual Great Service!

0 Ratings
SamdyGray
Contributor
Message 18 of 28

How strange that I should read this thread. I have today just had my Infinity 'fixed' after I lost service last Thursday.

I had an orange light on the hub and no DSL light on the modem. A fault was logged on Friday and the engineer came out today who found the jumper had been disconnected at the cabinet. My phone line remained unaffected.

The same thing happened to my phone line two weeks prior, when broadband remained unaffected.

Obviously not an isolated incident.

0 Ratings
JamesEllis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 28

they have us all by the short and curlies.... I'd have ditched them last week after all the drama in favour of Virgin but alas they're not in my area yet. It's lies and damned lies.

Will be interesting to see if BT make any kind of statement after tonights throttling fiasco.

I think I'll be contacting firstly Ofcom, then Computer weekly/the register and other tech press that might be interested tomorrow.

The sheisters!

0 Ratings
JamesEllis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 28

Smiley Mad

Well, I can report that BT did infact get my Infinity back up and running... Great... (other than the obvious accidental mass throttling last weekend!)

Problem now is not so much the Infinity service, so much as the billing.

Im wondering whether to start a new thread in the billing section but the thought of starting the discussion all over again.......

0 Ratings