cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rd83
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Infinity went from 80mb to 20mb! Worse than my old 8MB connection!

Using a wired connection 24/7 and never wireless.The house is a new build about 7 years old at most as as far as i am aware my line is copper and runs underground and not above ground.The fibre cabinet is roughly 350-400m down the road at most and i can see it from my house.

So yea i  really need a profile reset as im convinced my profile is stuck  after a fault.I ordered 40MB in may and got full 40MB and 25ms latency.I never used the connection though as the property was being refurbished and i got quite delayed in moving in.I ordered Infinity 2 80MB on launch day and had 80MB sync and speedtests that failed at first with 0KBPS and a fault indicator on the bt wholesale checker.After a week or so it evened out and i pulled 72MB speedtest and ping was an excellent 25ms with 1ms jitter as tested with www.pingtest.net.

I never used the connection for health reasons as i was unwell but ive been doing so recently and ive noticed with a year of inactivity on the line the connection has crashed to an appauling 20MB download 3MB upload and a interleaved 43ms ping.Pingtests show my line graded as a B with over 14ms of jitter! My old 8MB ADSL had 0-1MS jitter and 29MS latency.

Ive waited for it to resync but nothing is happening and its just stuck now at 23MB.My estimate is 66MB and it says the connection will be there or near about with a few MB difference.Well my connection has suffered a 60% performance loss or more and for gaming its not fit for purpose compared to the way it functioned for a period after the 7 days settling in period.So to say my line is now unstable or cannot support the old speed would mean some external factor has crippled my line speed and im not happy about it at all.

Ive tried power cycles and a new cable and nothing has worked.Im using the wired gigabyte ethernet port on the infinity router into both my desktop and laptop with the same results.Can someone please reset the profile? I have been reading that this is currently impossible due to new ofcom rules so im wondering can my line be classed as a fault even though i have not hit the 12mb fault threshhold? As its still a breach of contract as im not getting what i used to get and got for the period i had to cancel the contract and after the settling in period where i would get to see how the line performed.

I have included a few screenshots showing how bad its got and how ping can vary.It was 33ms in the second posts DOS screenshot but now its back to 43ms.It used to be 25ms for a long long time.How come its been doubled in little over a year? I very much want to see my line return to 25ms and 50MB + downloads thanks.

infinity speedtest 1.JPG

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
rd83
Beginner
Message 2 of 4

Re: Infinity went from 80mb to 20mb! Worse than my old 8MB connection!

pingtest1.JPGtracert bbc1.JPG

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 4

Use the mod contact form below. Note it can take up to 3 days for a response.

0 Ratings
rd83
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Local Engineer arrived near the end of the 6hr appointment slot and started off in the house and checked the phone socket which was black and corroded somehow! It seems it was never replaced with the original infinity install.He reset my profile and im pretty much back to where i was before give or take. Sync @ 74 now was previously full 80 i think. Latency now 26 previously 25 was 24 minutes after install. Im hoping it stays like this now during the 7 day settling in period after a line reset and ive speedtested at 70MB so overall im very pleased and it was very fast.Under 3 days in total from email to engineer.Thanks chaps and merry christmas.
0 Ratings