cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
West
Contributor
Message 11 of 33

Re: Infinity????

I have worked in Telecommunications all my life. I ran the first tests over the local network which were a pre-cursor for Broadband. The tests were for the then Video on Demand prodcut BT wanted to rollout.

I can assure you whether you believe it or not it works.

I also used to get 6meg now I get 75meg.

You should take a leap of faith the only person losing out is yourself.

0 Ratings
peterd123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 33

May be it's because of the rubbish I'm fed when I have to constantly call the BT help line and get the same old rubbish spouted at me. The reason is always something my end. Yet after a lot of shouting and nothing done my end and me threatening to leave BT, suddenly my service has improved inc. speed and dropping out. Funny that, is it not.

As I said before I'm sure that BT throttle back on speed. I was even told this by a BT engineer. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 33

They don't. And that's a fact. The engineer is talking rubbish.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
peterd123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 33

I have been reading the other blogs on this subject, may be you should read as well. It's just a con to get you to sign up for another 18 months with little to no increase.

0 Ratings
bbcol
Contributor
Message 15 of 33

Are we all lying aswell then about our increases?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 33

Hahahahahahhahah. It's not a con you fool.

BT would not be allowed to operate if they were conning customers.

Yes there are people on here with problems but BT have over 600,000 customers on Infinity so what you see here is a very very small proportion of customers.

Show me any business that offer services where customers don't have problems or complaints.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
lmosley
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 33

After reading these boards you usually find its just people who are having issues, this board cannot be a true representation of what most customers get. (Mostly just the bad experiences) Very rare you hear of the good on here.

Still those calling it a con are usually the ones who get a estimate of 38Mb and upgrade anyway. That’s taking the punt on hopefully it may be higher. For some it will for some it won’t, But you can’t really moan if you get the 38Mb as that’s your estimate? (If its lower than the estimate after the upgrade then yeah I see peoples point. Especially if they were on a stable 38Mb profile and now they get a slower service)

Ok for an example when Infinity first came out here our estimate was 29.5Mb, However we have been getting the full 38Mb no issue for months now since we first got infinity. (Yes there was an issue with bandwidth at the exchange, and how they installed ours at 1st but that got fixed). We were one of the 1st areas to get infinity and so far there has been little to no issues with it bar when it was 1st installed. Speed during peak/off peak is constant etc.

So new Infinity 2 Estimate is 55Mb (17 Higher than the old 38Mb package) Maybe we will get more than that maybe we won’t. Still if we get the 55 it’s still an increase to the 40Mb cap we were on previously.

Those who upgrade anyway (When there estimate is 38Mb or lower) are just going for it and hoping for the best. For some it works and for some it won’t. (As you can see from my example). The estimates are estimates after all. As long as after the upgrade the service does not get slower from what we usually get its good. Anything higher is a positive really.

Also remember the 10 day stabilising period thing. Most I have seen who are complaining ATM are still in that period. And you can’t really do anything till your out of it so in most cases your just best sitting it out. If there is still an issue after the 10 days then yes raise a fault and then see what the issue is.

Edit: And to add just for the OP. Before infinity we were lucky to get 1MB via ADSL2+ (Exchange distance) As you can see from the speedtest above FTTC does make a difference...
As it is totally different technology to ADSL. Yeah it may not be full fibre but what the last 100-1000M to your house is copper? (Fibre is to the closest street cabinet) You still get faster speeds because of it.

0 Ratings
philt1808
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 33

This is a brilliant thread.

My 'real' expereience of Infinity is moving from 2Mbps to 74Mbps.  I can now download an HD quality film in minutes rather than hours.  I play games with no lag.  My browsing experience is improved. We can share the bandwith in the house without noticing any drop in performance.

I have had nothing but top service from BT and can't fault them.

....though I may be an undercover BT operative so beware Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
robh66
Contributor
Message 19 of 33

I've just done what everyone else has done regarding the upgrade to Infinity 2, and that's reset the OR modem and Hub and with that my speed jumped from 37Meg to 54Meg.

And i was quoted that i would get 57Meg on the download, so there's more evidence of how FTTC is more robust and reliable than ADSL.

0 Ratings
Alan63
Expert
Message 20 of 33

Peter, this is no lie - this is fact...

I used to get 0.6 with talk talk!!!!

I moved onto BT bb and speed went to 2 mb ( the best the line could give due to line length)

I upgraded to infinity and speed went to 37.
I upgraded to infinity 2 and speed went to 51 - this is Likely the best ill get due to the copper part of the connection.

There were no digging works either, they use existing conduits to get the fibre to the street cabinets.

The vast majority of people don't really have probs , some do . Many people have poor opinions of their ISP... Doesn't matter which one and they feel personally hurt that they're not being listened to or 'treated fairly' sometimes that is the case - usually not.

Make up your mind then act but this is a customer forum - not a BT help desk . We can all help each other but be a little tolerant and open minded . People here know what they are talking about ( and some of those are responding to your question) . Use their comments to work out what works for you.

Cheers. AC