Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tiger_tattoo
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Infinity2 Speeds

Hi all.

On the 24th April I went from Infinity (36MB) to Infinity2 (36MB) these speeds were taken wired from the BT Beta speedtester, now MY BT shows my speed as upto 38MB and this has never changed and the IP profile when I use the old BT speedtest is set at 38MB.

Now I've had numerous calls to various parts of the world and numerous emails and during the first 10 days was told my speed would fluctuate but it never did. I eventually was passed to tier2 technical who told me the fault was at my exchange but gives us a few hours and we'll get back to you sadly that didn't happen, so when I called them surprisingly the fault was at my end so an engineer visited today and told me everything is perfect at my end. He did a speed check at the modem and registered 42MB a little short of the estimated 53MB.

Now I wouldn't say I'm complaining about the actual speed I'd just like to know why no matter where I check my profile (My BT or the speedtest) it still only says upto 38MB and no where near the estimated 53MB and why oh why did I have to sign up for another 18 months to receive no difference at all.

Now one thing in my favour is samknows and ofcom have emailed offering the chance to help them check broadband speeds, wonder if when I receive their little box that's checks and reports speeds back to them if BT will sort out my little issue.

Any advice greatly appreciated in helping me understand my problem.

Cheers

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Aarong
Guru
Message 2 of 17

Re: Infinity2 Speeds

Hi and welcome to the forum, could you run a speedtest here and post results, http://www.speedtester.bt.com. Run this test via ethernet cable.

Would like to take a look at your profiles.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
normanstephens
Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Join the club mate, plenty of people on here wishing they hadn't bothered with the upgrade as things get worse rather than better...

0 Ratings
tiger_tattoo
Beginner
Message 4 of 17

Download speed 7MB OUCH

IP Profile 38.11  MB

Upload 5.63  MB

Upload profile 20MB

these were taken on the link you sent

and from the beta site

download 40.82

upload 6.14

ping76.75

hope this helps sort my issues 

0 Ratings
rip
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

I have just had an engineer call today after complaining about speeds since upgrading to Infinity 2. His reading to the exchange was 49 and 20 upload. I have just used the BT tester and got a reading of 20 and 4 upload.

His advice was that my line was fine and not to take too much notice of speed test results online because they are not that accurate????

What i find confusing is, when I was on the 40 package I always got around 37 and 8 upload which I thought was quite good, so when I saw the infinity2 speed, I thought that will do me. So like everyone else I renewed my contract expecting to get at least 62 download and 18 upload on my line which was shown against my telephone number.

So now what do I do? if the engineer has done his test and says it is OK with the readings he is getting, do I just accept that?

0 Ratings
tiger_tattoo
Beginner
Message 6 of 17

Don't think it's a case of do we accept it....shouldn't need to accept anything short of what was intimated when we all signed up....there must be some degree of truth in the estimates we all received and signed up for 18 months on the hope of getting.....but we must remember and it may shock some that a large multinational company tells a little porky to get the masses excited about a product and keeps us all coming back for more of the same. LOL 

0 Ratings
Aarong
Guru
Message 7 of 17

Hi tiger_tatoo, wouldn't worry about the speeds on the B.T speedtest website since it's not been too accurate as of late, the profiles are more important. Could you also run a test wired here as well please and post results http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
tiger_tattoo
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

download 37.9

upload 8

ping 49ms

0 Ratings
rip
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Blimey India have phoned and are concerned that I am still not getting the results that I should be getting, it's still ongoing even though the engineer said all was ok. India also said that because these higher speeds are new, they are investigating as to why so many customers are complaining about not getting the higher speeds. I must say India Tech. are bending over backwards trying to help.

0 Ratings
Aarong
Guru
Message 10 of 17

If an engineer has done a check, and your profile for download speeds is low but this may alter (increase) over time. Unfortunately a profile reset can't be done as Openreach will deem that DLM is doing it's job and keeping your line stable.

Since the increased speeds come with increased frequencies, this may be part of your problem for not receiving extra download/uploads. DLM will stabilise your line first and at a speed where it's comfortable.

The only other suggestion i have is that you may be under a "banded profile" which limits your speeds, this will lift over time once your connection settles.
0 Ratings