cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
solorize
Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Infinity2 installed but download speed is only 3.3mb !!

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the following.

I've just had BT Infinity2 installed and the engineer hooked up to the wireless via his
tablet and told me I was getting:  75mb download and 20mb upload speeds.

After he went I tested the speed via my pc and am getting no where near that!
I am now getting  3.3mb down and 5.3 up, my old ADLS line had 12meg down and 1.2 upload.
So I am shocked that the download speed is now where near the 75mb!

Speed test.net
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/solorize/speedchecker_zpsd9f58079.png

Speedchecker.co.uk:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/solorize/speedtestdotnet_zps23feb803.png

Has any one any ideas why this is happening?

I know the line is in training for 10days, but I cant believe the speed is slower on firbre than

on my previous ADSL line!!

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Infinity2 installed but download speed is only 3.3mb !!

try the BT Speedtest and post the diagnostic part of the test back ensure this is done with a wired connection
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
0 Ratings
umar2131
Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Let the line settle, do NOT turn off the modem at any point.

Odd to see that on wireless the engineer got those speeds.

Could be a dodgey ethernet cable or port but just wait a few more days.

Post back if anything changes, and try doing speedtests from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and click on 'further diagnostics' and post those results.

0 Ratings
solorize
Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Hi,

Thanks to you both for replying.

I think the problem was that I am using 85mbps home plugs to get internet from downstairs

to my upstairs pc's.

I bought a wireless USB dongle and plugged that into one of the upstairs pc's and am

now getting much better speeds:

D/L = 16.6mb

U/L = 9.97mb
Ping = 64.5ms

If I run a speedtest from my mobile phone via wifi downstairs in the same room as

the HomeHub 3 I get:

D/L = 19.68

U/L = 15.64

Ping = 36ms

I will test later today downstairs with a laptop connected to the gigabit port on the

router and see what speeds I get from there and will post back here to let you know.

0 Ratings
ParaJack
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

At risk of stating the obvious! On the back of your Home Hub you have got four yellow Ethernet ports, Port 4 is labelled as GigE are you plugged into that one? That port allows you to receive data at the same speed as it's received from the fibre connection.

Hope that is of some use to you or anyone else 🙂

EDIT* Just noticed in your post above you are aware of that 🙂

0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 6 of 19

One possible reason is star wiring, where there are extensions (including alarms, SkyBox as well as regular telephone extensions) taken from a junction box before the incoming line gets to the master socket.   That gives exactly the symptoms you have seen; fast initial sync quickly lowered by DLM when it see all sorts of horrors on the line.  (Mine went from 60 initially to around 12 with dips down to 3; after extension removed and waiting for DLM to be happy now stable at over 70 for months.)

If this is the case it should be fixed free as a fault.  Meanwhile, as a temporary partial fix, if you are actually using any such extensions filter them with old ADSL filters if you've still got them.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 7 of 19

@solorize wrote:

Hi,

Thanks to you both for replying.

I think the problem was that I am using 85mbps home plugs to get internet from downstairs

to my upstairs pc's. Yes, you need at least 200Mbps homeplugs.

I bought a wireless USB dongle and plugged that into one of the upstairs pc's and am

now getting much better speeds:

D/L = 16.6mb

U/L = 9.97mb
Ping = 64.5ms

If I run a speedtest from my mobile phone via wifi downstairs in the same room as

the HomeHub 3 I get:

D/L = 19.68

U/L = 15.64

Ping = 36ms

I will test later today downstairs with a laptop connected to the gigabit port on the

router and see what speeds I get from there and will post back here to let you know.

0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 8 of 19

I think that you will find even 200Mbps homeplugs struggle to get the best out of FTTC except under ideal circumstances.

Also after another post somewhere on this forum, I have found that using a powerline adaptor plugged in to a twin with a powersurge strip of computer equipment in the other half of the twin significantly reduces throughput.
0 Ratings
solorize
Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Hi Thanks again for all your replies.

I have had to test the connection downstairs wired direct into the GigE (port 4) on the back of the router

via my Playstation 3, as the laptop I was going to use is too old.

The speeds I got reported are:

Download speed: 28.1Mbps
Upload speed: 8.9Mbps

The strange thing was that I also tested it connected into (port 2) and got exactly the same
speeds as when I connected to the GigE (port 4) !?!?

I checked back online on the BT website to see what approx speed I should be getting and it confirms that I should be getting:

Great News! You can get superfast fibre optic BT Infinity

50.4Mb*
Download speed

13.2Mb*
Upload speed

So I am still unsure why I am only getting around half the download speed I should be getting.

I know I am still on "line training" for 10 days, so it could fluctuate, but I would expect to be

getting higher than 28Mbps.

I do have a Raspberry Pi that I could try and run the BT Wholesale Speed test on and see if that also

reports the same speeds. Other than that I would have to move one of my desktop PC's from
upstairs down to the router and then test the speed again.

FYI.
I do not have Sky nor an Alarm at my house so as far as I know the line comes directly into my living room

to the Master socket.

I guess I will just wait for the 10 days to be up and then see what the settled line speed is and if it is

still no where near the estimated speed as mentioned above I will contact the MOD's.

sjtp:

For some of the PC's up stairs I still have connecting through Home plugs, and the homeplug that comes from the
router does indeed plug into a twin socket, with the other socket having a powerserge strip with the TV, Blueray, Wii, PS3, audio system all connected to, so I may try and move it into another free socket and see if that helps.

BTW.

Can anyone confirm if you can power off the router (while on the 10 days line training) and it will not have any

adverse affects to line speed, and that it is the modem that you should not turn off. Or should you not turn
off either of them while on line training?

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 10 of 19

Hi, can you do a speedtest here please.

Make sure you do this with an ethernet connection then start by clicking on "Begin Test", once completed you will be displayed Download, Upload and ping. There will then be a further diagnostics button on that page proceed by click on it, once it has completed copy and paste us the results.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings