Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miked1963
Contributor
Message 11 of 36

Re: Infnity speed/connection issues

Wat a div do a Apologise,

Engineer came round yesterday he did  a line reset. Bang straight away best signal wev'e had and all connection and wireless issues have gone, he also said the line signal is excellent quality. So why then did we have so many problems on a 5/9 mg drop ?. If this happens again can I not just ring up and ask for the reset rather than them send some one out,

Mike.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 36

ISP's can not reset the lines. They have to contact Openreach and they have to get an engineer do the reset. If it was DLM (Dynamic Line Management) that was slowing your speeds, if the engineer did not find or sort the underlying cause the problem may well return.

miked1963
Contributor
Message 13 of 36

What's Dynamic line management ?. Sorry to be a pain.

Mike

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 36

Basically, Dynamic Line Management (or DLM) is the collective term for the automated system that logs information about your line's performance, and processes that are used to stabilise the line. DLM uses the information it gathers about disconnections and reconnections as well as error statistics to establish what speeds are likely to be most stable for your particular line. It may also determine that interleaving should be activated on your line if not already present. It should be noted that frequently restarting your router or modem may be interpreted by the DLM as a problem and may subsequently reduce the controlled line rate.

If DLM can see that a connection can support an increase in speed it may increase your speed upwards. If a connection becomes unstable then DLM will reduce the speed and attempt to re-stabalise the connection by adjusting the line's parameters, of which there are several, speed will be one of them.

miked1963
Contributor
Message 15 of 36

O dear I hope not.

He did say the line quality was exellent and there was nothing he could do to improve it. Dont know if he meant dlm or not ?

Mike

0 Ratings
miked1963
Contributor
Message 16 of 36

Hi back again.

All went belly up again this morning, wireless was up and down did lots of speed tests all between 24/ 34 now levelled off at between 40/42 was getting higher for nearly 3 months. How can I get them to check the DLM, the level two team seem to think there is nothing wrong, strange thing this happened about 0730 this morning, so the network wont have been to busy.  I have hh3 so I can't post stats. Beginning wonder weather I should have stuck to my old ISP.

MikeSmiley Sad

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 17 of 36

Have you tried testing with a wired connection? If all is OK then check your wireless drivers are updated with the manufacturers website, don't rely on Windows update. Then try changing channels in the HH3 to find the best one suited to you.

0 Ratings
miked1963
Contributor
Message 18 of 36

Hi,

Yes I have been using a fixed connection during speed tests, wireless also, yes day morning I must have done about 12 with speeds from 21/42 all wied connections, the online team say they only had a record of two of them, (strange) they say they can see nothing wrong, but from early yesterday morning when I had to reset the hub and modem because of the lack of a connection the speed is up and down both wired and wireless, when it had been fantastic. Are there any stats I can get from the hub 3 to give anybody on here an idea of wat may be going wrong.,

Mike

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 36

If it is just your speeds fluctuating you could try leaving things alone for a day or two to see if they settle down after the modem/hub reset.

There could be a fault somewhere on your line or at the exchange/cabinet. As I said earlier, if the engineer did not sort anything other than reset DLM the problem would return although that would tend to lower your speeds rather than cause them to fluctuate. You need to contact BT again and explain to them that you have had a DLM reset but the problem has returned.

Just to rule out the Homehub before you contact BT, make a direct connection from your PC to the modem which will eliminate the homehub. Follow this guide to do that. Use your computer as normal to see if it disconnects and what speeds you get. If it does not disconnect you will know it is a faulty hub.

Step 1: Remove the homehub from the modem

Step2: Connect your pc/laptop into the modem using LAN1 port

Step3: Open network and sharing centre on windows and click set up a new connection or network

Step4: Connect to the internet then click make a new connection Broadband PPPoE

Step5: Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password as BT

Step6: connect, If it doesn't,keep pressing try again until it does.

Use this speed tester and carry out the further diagnostics test and post back the results, including your IP profile for up and down.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
miked1963
Contributor
Message 20 of 36

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 31.81 Mbps

0 Mbps43.41 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 31.81 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 34.73 Mbps-43.41 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 43.41 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 5.46 Mbps

0 Mbps20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 5.46Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.

If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' but

This is another test 10 mins later as you can see it gone down another 8meg,

Mike

0 Ratings