kiteboygriff
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Inifinity - Suspect Home Hub Issue

Hi all

Just been to a friend house who has recently had infinity installed

We have problems it seems

First problem - he has a little acer aspire one running xp

Connects to the home hub ok - WILL NOT GO ONLINE - dsiabled wireless security and its online fine

Put WPA and WPA2 back on and gets the same problem - has a valid HH3 IP just will not get online

Brought the same netbook back home on my wireless network - connects to WPA2 no problems

Suspect home hub issues?????? Has to be in my eyes

2nd problem - My laptop - no problems getting 4.5 - 8.5 MB/sec pretty happy with that!!!!

He also has a HP Microserver and that is all over the place often getting no connection at all through wireless usb G

Often has the same problem as the aspire one - connects to wireless but doesnt want to do anything - has got upto 6.5MB/sec but then went to nothing again, shows as connected with internet but no internet access - very odd (my laptop ok though)

So we tried a wireless N usb dongle and getting pretty much the same symptoms

Also tried plugging modem direct into my laptop and again speeds were sweet as / obviously thats bypassing the hub

I personally suspect home hub issues as we tried a Asus RT-N66U and that did seem to have very good results

Any thoughts or advice on how he goes about reporting this issue or what anybody thinks this is

Personally having seen it in action I cant wait for infinity to come my way

Also is there any way to set a static ip on the home hub at all??

hes planning on getting homeplugs so that may help things - well see

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Inifinity - Suspect Home Hub Issue

Hi and welcome to the forum, XP unfortunately is the greatest OS windows have released, there have been some issues with users have that OS with the hub, if you have an alternative router i would personally go for that, the Asus is quite popular amongst the forum.

Unfortunately the best way would be to DMZ a specific device as you can't use static I.P's. Just to note, since this open all ports the device won't be protected as the firewall is down with DMZ.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
kiteboygriff
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply 

Still doesnt explain why without ANY changes to the ACER Aspire one it can connect to my network fine and not to the hub?? Both WPA and WPA2 wireless connections - the xp argument makes no sense here

The aspire one has no problems with any other network - Just the hub

DMZ - I dont think thats a viable option to be honest

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 6

The only reason i brought XP as a system in is that amongst the forum i've noticed more people have issues with that specific OS with the hub.

Have you tried static I.P via network connections on your laptop?

Failing that, i know you have an Asus router but if you wanted to, you could try a hub replacement, just ring up sales 0800 800 150 and they'll send you out a new one.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
kiteboygriff
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks again

I thinks hes about to factory reset the router and all over again

the microservers connection is just all over the place - very odd indeed but like I said 8.5MB/sec plugged directly to the PC was fantastic

Could try setting a static IP in the microserver (in the allowed IP range) but if another device picks up that ip obviously the microserver wont get online then so dont think that will work / maybe wrong

Could have done with a few more hours in his house to be honest to definately nail it down

Will let you know how it goes

0 Ratings
kiteboygriff
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Well for the ACER Aspire one

It seems like it is a driver issue afterall

had the same issue with it when connecting to the asus rt-n66u at my home

Kept having to disable wireless security to get online - now updated the wireless driver and all seems Ok

I suspect it should now get online with the HH3 too - he still has some funky things going on regarding the speed but one thing at a time!

0 Ratings