cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beechio
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Inifinity - move master socket or use Data Extension kit

I have just spent almost 3 hours on the phone trying to get some basic information from BT, without getting anywhere.

Basically, I would like to have BT Infinity installed, but I understand that the modem/router needs to be connected directly to the master socket. This is not easy in my house, because there is no power source to power the router and have it be next to the master socket. (It would be very difficult to get a power socket near there, so am not considering that as an option).

I did some research, and my options seem to be:
1) move the master socket to somewhere where I can power the router
2) Use a 'BT Infinity Data Extension Kit' to connect the router to the master socket - this way, the router can be up to 30m away.

I wanted to know the costs and pros and cons of each method. I also had some other requirements (keep existing extension sockets, etc), and wanted to see if this was possible.

I talked to several different people, including the 'technical dept', each of which was pretty much useless.

The 1st dept, I think Infinity Sales, had no idea what a Data Extension kit was. They also told me it would be 205 pounds to move a master socket. They couldn't tell me if I could move it within the house to exactly where I wanted. They ran out of any knowledge or help before I could even start to ask the real questions I had.

They then put me through to the 'technical department'. They were absolutely useless, and barely understandable. She also had no clue about the Data Extension Kit, and barely knew what a master socket was. I spent an hour or more trying to explain what I wanted to know, and what the problem is (which I think is pretty simple).

She basically suggested the only way I could get any of my questions answered would be to place an order for Infinity, then wait for the engineer to come. Onl;y then could I find out if it's better to move the socket, or to use this Data Extension Kit thing.

So, to do this, I then got put through to some department in Liverpool, for actually ordering an Infinity installation.

She also did not know what a BT Infinity Data Extension kit was, and could obviously not help with the technical stuff.

But when I asked if I could put an order in and then talk to the engineer, she said that the system told her 'an engineer was not required'. But, I explained to her, an engineer was required because I need to move the socket or get them to wire up this Data Extension kit! I asked her to tick the box and say an engineer was required. She said the system would not allow her to do that. There was no way for her to say 'this customer would need an engineer'.

Other people on these forums seem to have had Infinity installed and had an engineer come to sort out their sockets, etc. Does anyone know how you would do this??

I don't think I'm asking for anything extravagant. I was asking for some advice about the right approach, or failing that, for an engineer to come to do the Infinity installation and we can work out the right approach at that time.

The most ridiculous things are: a) nobody knew what a Data Extension kit was, b) no way of talking to a competent engineer to discuss, c) no way to insist that an engineer is needed when doing the Infinity installation.

So, does anybody know how to insist on an engineer visiting when Infinity is installed.

Or does anyone have an opinion on whether moving the master socket or using the Data Extension kit is the better approach. Basically, what are the pros and cons.

The way I have it set up at the moment is an extension cable from the master socket to another socket, and the existing ADSL router is plugged in there. There is also our main phone connected to this extension socket. So one of my main questions is if I had the Data Extension thing wired to the master socket, can the extension socket still be left as it is with a phone connected.

Obviously moving the master socket sounds more ideal, but if it is £130/205 vs free (data extension kit), then that is something to consider. (However, I can't even establish whether the extension kit is free or not - and I can't seem to find a way of getting an engineer to install it anyway!)

Hope somebody can help - cheers!

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Inifinity - move master socket or use Data Extension kit

best to wait for the engineer visit they can do any work needed as part of the install
0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 3 of 11

Hi John,

I think part of the problem is that the OP can't get an engineer visit organised.

@beechio I'm sure I can help with this. Can you please drop me an email with your details. You'll get the 'contact us' link in my profile.

Cheers

David

john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Thanks David missed the bit about not being able to get a visit arranged
0 Ratings
beechio
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Hi David,

Yes, that's right - they insist that it is not possible for them in any way to specify that an engineer should visit. They said the system is totally automatic and they can't even put a note on the order or whatever. This seems absolutely ludicrous to me.

To be honest, I would prefer to discuss it beforehand anyway, just to see what the choices are. For example if the data extension kit wasn't going to work for some reason, and it would cost £130, I might decide not to go for it.

But at the very least I'd like to have an engineer turn up. At the moment my only choice seems to be to order the master socket to be moved before even ordering the infinity, even though the other option of a data extension cables might work and be free or cheaper.

I will try sending a mail.

cheers,

Pete

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 11

Just be aware that if the engineer is a sub-contractor then they will be unlikely to do that much apart from the basic install let alone move the master or supply the data extension  -  it seems to be hit and miss as to what will be done at the moment.

0 Ratings
craigend
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

You seem to have the same problem that I had. ie. Master telephone socket in a difficult position. Mine was in an airing cupboard and no power socket anywhere near it. In the end all I did was to run a telephone extension cable - about 20 meters in length from the master socket to the BT router which is next to my computer and a power point. It was a bit difficult in that to hide the cable I had to drill through some walls but I was able to drill below the "carpet line" so the cable is not seen. The important thing is that it works. Infinity 1 with just under 38 down and just under 9 up. Hope this helps. Could be worth a try.

0 Ratings
craigst
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

i done all this so hope this helps

moving master socket works fine but requires alot ( rewireing each phone port ) unless to goes from a outside garage to inside main house witch in this case its best option

data extention kits is best for a relocation in a house 

most important is the cable you use cat6 network cable will do amazing as twisted + shielded or use black shieled master phone cable same that enters ur property 

if you use your master socket with a mk2 or mk3 faceplate there 2 prong connecter to extend the modem connecter from master socket to another socket meaning u dont have to filter the rest of your house so as long as you dont mind running a cable to a wall port it will work amazing 

any questions ask i spent months working on best wireing to kep ping low im 2km from exchange and get 9 ping 

like £40 in mk3 faceplate + cat6 cable (using 1 pair) or main land line cable (not standard cable as will lose speed / ping longer the cable) and a wall plate to have a tidy modem socket

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

@beechio wrote:

Basically, I would like to have BT Infinity installed, but I understand that the modem/router needs to be connected directly to the master socket. 

I am adding to this conversation because I recently went down the same road. In my search for information, I kept landing here on questions like this one with simialrly misleading information.

Based on my experience, the bottom line is that this information is erroneous. You do not have to have your modem on the master socket. Mine isn't. I get speeds between 35 and 37 Mbps on the extension. (This is at the tolp end of the range that BT promised when I signed up.) It may not be a long run to the extension, but who knows what other people will see with longer runs?

I have tweaked my extension so that it now has a filter  built into the faceplate, but it worked fine before I did that.

Perhaps I should add that I do not use the BT Homeshub, but it seems that I am not allowed to mentioned the name or model of the model I use. Last time I did that the forum minders edited out the details.

I add this information for the benefit of anyone else who lands here thanks to Google. You will read all over the place that you have to use the master plug. Wrong.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

@michaelkenward wrote:

@beechio wrote:

Basically, I would like to have BT Infinity installed, but I understand that the modem/router needs to be connected directly to the master socket. 

I am adding to this conversation because I recently went down the same road. In my search for information, I kept landing here on questions like this one with simialrly misleading information.

I think you will find not everybody on here posts that you can only use the master socket.

Based on my experience, the bottom line is that this information is erroneous. You do not have to have your modem on the master socket. Mine isn't. I get speeds between 35 and 37 Mbps on the extension. (This is at the tolp end of the range that BT promised when I signed up.) It may not be a long run to the extension, but who knows what other people will see with longer runs?

I have tweaked my extension so that it now has a filter  built into the faceplate, but it worked fine before I did that.

Perhaps I should add that I do not use the BT Homeshub, but it seems that I am not allowed to mentioned the name or model of the model I use. Last time I did that the forum minders edited out the details.

They will only edit out details if you link to an e-commerce site. You can mention the name of any router to your heart's content.

I add this information for the benefit of anyone else who lands here thanks to Google. You will read all over the place that you have to use the master plug. Wrong.

It may say it is preferable to use the master socket.

0 Ratings