cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheYetiWakes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Inifnity 2 - Speed dropped below guideline amounts - Problem? Throttled?

I've been on Infinity 2 for a few months  (after hell and all trouble with previous ADSL...) and things seem to be falling apart here now too. 

I'm close to exchange and had a max rate connection of 91000kbps and a consistent actual data transfer rate of 85000kbps which is as good as it gets.   My router now reports this has dropped down to 73000kbps which is fair enough BUT in real world terms for the last 2 weeks the fastest I can download anything is 280kB/s???  I've tried from a variety of sites and a variety of techniques at all times of the dayy and night.    

last month I did download A LOT - Approx 200GB.  This was installing Steam on a new PC and updating approx 200 games, downloading 3 or 4 linux distributions for a few servers etc.  Have I broken a fair usage policy and i'm being throttled? 

At present its just not worth paying foer the service.

I've updated firmware on router in hope it would improve stuff but it hasn't.  Router states as follows:

stats1.jpg

stats2.jpg

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Inifnity 2 - Speed dropped below guideline amounts - Problem? Throttled?

BT don't throttle, there's no fair usage policy either.

Where are you downloading from? Wired or wireless connection?

What results do you get on speedtests?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
TheYetiWakes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

I've tried wired once it started to drop with no improvements.  Tried a range of downloading from straightforward files  off the web, updating Fedora, downloading a torrent. updating a gameon Steam.   Nothing performs different.

I tried the BT whoesale test further diagnostics a couple of days ago and it reported download speed of 30.  However, ran it again today to post results and can't even get a proper result:  This is from a wired connection.

BT Speed Test.jpg

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 4 of 12

Hi @TheYetiWakes and thanks for posting.

Those speed test results don't look right at all. Did you run the further diagnostics during the test? If not can you re-run the test including the further diagnostics and let me know when they've completed.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
TheYetiWakes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Hi

Run the test again and received the following results.  Not only is the main speed too low I'm a bit annoyed my IP profile has been set to 67Mbps also.  I know it sounds greedy but since I've signed up for infinity 2 I've been receiving 85Mbps consistantly without fault.  Don't see why it should now be 20Mbps less just for hell of it!  (Even though I'm not actually receiving that even).

Any help on what to do appreciated.

Is there anything router wise that needs looking at or gives any clues?  not sure if dB, SNR, power levels etc are acceptable?

BT.jpg

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 6 of 12

Thanks for posting the results @TheYetiWakes. We'll need to take a closer look at this so can you please drop me over an email with your details? You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
YetiWakes
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Please note they've finally carried out a line reset and things seem ok at the moment. Ip profile still set lower than originally but it's in their guideline amounts at least.

Woman who phoned me organised an engineer to come out on 29th. Looks like this is now not needed. She told me to post here to cancel it!? and they would pick it up as there's not a way to contact them direct in resolution dept. Can someone confirm this appointment now cancelled please!
0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 8 of 12

Hi @YetiWakes,

I've had a look and can confirm that the appointment for the 29th has been canceled. I get one of the teams to follow up with you on the 30th to see how the connection is preforming following the reset.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

@PaddyBCould you please inform myself and the other regular helpers here what line reset you are referring to? As far as we are aware this is not possible by an ISP on VDSL connections.

If it is I'll gladly inform Openreach for you.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

The Openreach engineer should perform a reset if they find and fix a fault.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings