cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 8

Initial query about broadband speed on two lines (before providing all the stats)

Go to solution
I have 2 lines coming into my house; 1 normal residential line and a 2nd line which is classed as a business line (installation and rental/usage paid for by my company).

I currently have tesco B&B on the business line (set up when it was a 2nd residential line) that was giving a speed test of around 2.2mb.

I wanted to change this to a BT supplied service but was told I couldn't request a change as it was a business line (ie not under my control).

Instead I went ahead and order BT broadband on my residential line. It's only been in two days so I realise I need to wait for things to settle down etc but immediately My tesco B&B speed has dropped to around 1.3mb and the BT one peaks at about 1 mb.

My initial query at this stage is whether this halving in speed is to be expected and, more importantly, will the BT speed increase back up to the region of the Tesco bb once I have that discontinued ?

In case it makes a difference; I have what I think is a NTE5 master socket (although it has openreach moulded on the top part of the socket) below which is another BT socket. This latter socket is where the main phone is plugged in and I have the new BT HH4 plugged in to the master socket.

The 2nd line runs as another cable exiting
from the bottom of the lower box upstairs to my office where it terminates in a double BT socket (phone sockets side by side) which is where by business phone and Router for my tesco broadband are currently connected.

To reiterate, everything is working but my existing bb speed has halved from ~2mb and the new BT bb is peaking around 1mb. All I'm after - eventually - is for BT broadband working at around 2mb. Hopefully not too much to ask for.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Initial query about broadband speed on two lines (before providing all the stats)

Go to solution

do your sockets look like either of these fibre SSFP.jpg   test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 8

Re: Initial query about broadband speed on two lines (before providing all the stats)

Go to solution
The socket looks like the drawing on the right - thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

can you therefore conenct to the test socket as shown in my post with a new filter and then run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
Run tests as requested;
BT Speedtest;
download 1.96Mbps, upload 0.34Mbps, ping latency 57.50ms
Further diagnostics on Speedtest site;
download 1.96Mbps, acceptable range of 0.8 - 2Mbps, IP Profile is 1.98Mbps
Upload 0.34Mbps, IP Profile is 0.45Mbps
HH4 event log;
DSL Noise margin 13.00dB upstream, 6.10dB downstream
DSL Line rate 448Kbps upstream, 2240Kbps downstream

Obviously the relatively good news is that the line speed is to almost 2Mbps. Whilst this is a bit less than the 2.4Mbps I used to have via Tesco BB on my other home line, the figures above suggest (to my non-expert mind) that 2Mbps is the most I can currently expect from the Middleton Cheney exchange.

Is it possible to tell/infer from the above what I might be able to expect when this exchange upgrades; supposedly some time in 2014?

Thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

as your noise margin is about normal 6db there is little scope for a much faster speed than currently

if by upgraded you mean to 21CN adsl2 then you will see little if any change to your download speed but your upspeed will increase by about 100%

check here 

check speed

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
ADSL 2+ is already available on the exchange and no sign of fibre an upgrade to fibre looks unlikely in the near future unless a BDUK scheme is in operation
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Hi wildebeest17,

Your exchange is planned to be upgraded with Fibre (FTTC - Fibre to the Cabinet) under your local Superfast Northamptonshire BDUK fibre broadband scheme.

FTTC fibre broadband can currently achieve upto 80mbps depending on your distance from your FTTC dslam cab and line quality

If you enter your postcode into the Superfast Northamptonshire GIS map: http://bnpc.atkinsgeospatial.com/Default.htm it will tell you IF and an estimated date in when FTTC will be deployed in your postcode area.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.