cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anja
Message 1 of 14

Insecure wireless connection?

Hello everyone.

I have a BT HomeHub 2.0 since April 2010 and installed it using BT´s instructions. Nowhere in the instructions it said I needed to secure it and I could not find any useful information on the internet. Tried to call BT but gave up after 15min of waiting in the queue.

Most of the time there are technical difficulties and I don´t get to use the internet very often at all. I usually need to switch my laptop on and then restart it again at least once (sometimes more often) to get the internet to work. There seems to be an DNS error and sometimes it tells me my IP address is wrong.

Now (October 2010) I received an email from BT telling me they will charge me as I am going over my 10GB monthly limit. Funny considering how often I use it.

Having suspected for a long time that my wireless is not secured and that my neighbour (an IT consultant) is using my broadband I called BT again to ask them to help me to secure my wireless. Having endured the 20minute wait, I finally spoke to someone who clearly did not speak english very well and just kept on insisting that the BT Home Hub comes fully secured and nobody other than me can use my wireless. Really really unhelpful.

Is he right? What does it take to get to 10GB per month? I am not downloading anything - just occasional email checking, online booking of flights and with a bit of luck even the odd BBC IPlayer series.

If he is wrong how do I secure my wireless?

I am happy to disable the wireless and have a wired connection only.

According to BT the wireless is disabled as soon as I put a cable into the router. Is that correct?

Can anybody out there please tell me what I need to do? As you may have noticed I am not good at all this IT stuff and would appreciate some help.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Insecure wireless connection?

welcome to the forum

connecting an ethernet cable does nor disable your wireless.

the hub v2 comes with wpa security as default so unless you changed it your hub should be secure.

if you enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and enter passwors then navigate to wireless and you can check that security is enables and that it is wpa/wpa2

if you were opted in to BTFON then you will not be able to disable your wireless

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 14

@Anja wrote:snipped

Hello everyone.

Hi Anja

I have a BT HomeHub 2.0 since April 2010 and installed it using BT´s instructions.

Was this using the supplied CD?

Nowhere in the instructions it said I needed to secure it and I could not find any useful information on the internet.

You don't - As Imjolly wrote, it comes pre configured with WPA and WPA2 encryption

You can change the hub's SSID and wireless key though - if you wanted to

Tried to call BT but gave up after 15min of waiting in the queue.

Don't blame you for giving up!

Most of the time there are technical difficulties and I don´t get to use the internet very often at all.

What difficulties?

I usually need to switch my laptop on and then restart it again at least once (sometimes more often) to get the internet to work.

Is this via wireless by any chance?

There seems to be an DNS error and sometimes it tells me my IP address is wrong.

You could have some old router settings still saved on your laptop

Now (October 2010) I received an email from BT telling me they will charge me as I am going over my 10GB monthly limit. Funny considering how often I use it.

Having suspected for a long time that my wireless is not secured and that my neighbour (an IT consultant) is using my broadband I called BT again to ask them to help me to secure my wireless.

IF the wireless light is amber, then yes you have NO security on the wireless, if it's blue then you should be OK (unless someone has managed to hack the encryption key)

Having endured the 20minute wait, I finally spoke to someone who clearly did not speak english very well and just kept on insisting that the BT Home Hub comes fully secured and nobody other than me can use my wireless. Really really unhelpful.

The hub, by default, is secure

Is he right?

Unfortunately for you, he probably is right on this one

What does it take to get to 10GB per month?

Any uploading or downloading, viruses, BBC IPlayer

I am not downloading anything - just occasional email checking, online booking of flights and with a bit of luck even the odd BBC IPlayer series.

As above

If he is wrong how do I secure my wireless?

You can change the SSID and wireless encryption key

I am happy to disable the wireless and have a wired connection only.

That would stop wireless hijacks, but not anything on your laptop

According to BT the wireless is disabled as soon as I put a cable into the router. Is that correct?

Nope

Can anybody out there please tell me what I need to do? As you may have noticed I am not good at all this IT stuff and would appreciate some help.

Download Malwarebytes

Download CCleaner

Make sure your antivirus is upto date

Temporary download and use Networx - to check if it's your laptop running the usage up

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Darkvil
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

I have worked a little in IT security industry, but I will not be putting any security technical details on this forum.

This is not reccomended for everyone,

but if you are concerned about security then here are some things that you can do for peace of mind.

For the average user its not too bad, but maybe an IT consultant has done a bit of reading, or even remotely installed something on your computer.

I dont know your router details, but there are a few things you could do,

Please read all of this post before starting.

The order of the steps is very important.

1. Connect to your router using the ethernet cable,

If you dont have them download and install freeware antivirus, anti-malware and adware scanning and removal tools.

2. Go into your router admin and backup your router configuration to a file on your Computer.

3. Turn off your router

Scan your PC for virusus, malware and adware, Ok now you should be in a clean state.

4. Turn on your router and change the main admin password, make sure you use Capitals, numbers and special characters in the password and greater than 8 characters long if you can, 10 is reccomended.

You can go here to help you generate a strong password and a phrase to help you remember it.

5. You can set MAC address restrictions.

Go into the wifi settings.

Every WiFi card has a unique MAC address (its set by the manufacturer and note this is not your ip address) You can register this address with your router, and then only this MAC address and therfore your wifi card will be allowed to talk to the router, all others will be rejected.

6. Stand on your left leg, scratch your head with your right hand and pray to the IT securtiy god Smiley Surprised.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a nice guide on how to find out your MAC address,

If you need help find out out mac addresses of mobile phones and games machines let me know.

Reccomended Freeware

Antivirus: New Panda cloud Software or Avira

Adware/Spyware removal: Lavasoft Ad-aware

Note: Every device that you want to talk to your router will have to be registered in this mode, which is a bit of a pain but adds a much greater level of security.

To 'spoof' or pretend to be your MAC address needs specalialist equipment and usually physical access to the registered wifi cards. Which I suspect is beyond the capabilities of your neighbour.

If someone is hacking your router and he/she knows what they are doing, then just looking on your router wifi settings for which machines are connected will not display him/her, as they may be pretending to be your machine.

If you get into a mess then just hard reset (with a pointy thing in the hole 🙂 ) the router back to defaults and then load your config you backed up in the beginning.

Changing the Router main admin password monthly is a pain but also reccomended.

Remember Google is your friend for anything in steps that is not clear Smiley Very Happy

Hope this helps

0 Ratings
PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 14

@Darkvil wrote:

Security is relative and nothing in IT is 100% secure this is a fact.

WEP, WPA and WPA2 have all been cracked now with open source software and the right wifi cards and commercial computers.

For the average user its not too bad, but maybe an IT consultant has done a bit of reading, or even remotely installed something on your computer.

-----------------------------------------

Weak passwords are crackable regardless of Application or driver software but to date if a strong password/passphrase is used for WPA/WPA2 encryption it is still regarded by Security Experts as virtually uncrackable.

(I'm the last person to say something is impossible but it may take a very very... long time to crack a good long password. Smiley Tongue )

Ultra High Security Password Generator

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
Darkvil
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

As I said there is no need to discuss it in detail here, but you are assuming there is not a vulerability (not just password hacking)

It is a statement based on personal experience, there will always be different opinions. I will remove it from the post to stop it turning into a discussion on that and loose focus on the problem at hand.

WEP was deemed secure until it was broken, WPA was flawed and cracked and WPA 2 was released and so on ... I am sure WPA2 will not be the last security system we will ever have (there are already different flavours of it). Maybe if they spent as much time on the implementation standards as they do on the algrothims it might improve things.

But its always good to employ best practices when it comes to securtiy,

Layers of security is always prudent, and to rely on one single technical aspect has always failed in the past.

The steps are there to help people if they would like to understand what they can do, they are not foolproof by any means, but might give some peace of mind, and does provide extra layers of security.

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 14

I use Network Magic ( as well as Anti everything suite ) and whilst nothing is foolproof Net work M informs of any machine trying to join the network

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
Anja
Message 8 of 14

Okay,

I had a look at my BT Hub manager.

wpa/wpa2 is enabled. all good so far.

I found a primary DNS and a secondary DNS. Should there be two? Might that be the reason for my DNS error?

I also looked at application sharing (no, I am not doing online gaming - just curious) and could select from 6 devices: My new laptop, my old laptop which gave up on me and needed replacing and 4 unknown-and-string-of-random-numbers devices.

I have only ever tried to connect with my old and new laptop to the router and no other device. Does this mean someone else is using my wireless or am I getting paranoid?

I changed my password anyway.

I also found figures for data transmitted/ received (5.36MB/3.17MB). Is this the figure I need to watch and make sure it does not go over 10Gb or is it not cumulative?

I went on BBC Iplayer to check how this would affect the above figures and will received went up to 244.93MB in about 1 hour, that is still only 0.239GB - thus negligible.

Thank you for your help so far.

Anja

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 14

The 2 dns servers are correct and standard practice

The bandwidth you see in the router will change when ever its reset so not reliable

BT now provide you with a monitor log in to your BT account at BT.COM click the ADSL tab bottom of page then klick

View your broadband usage should show it

It only update daily so what you see is yesterdays

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
scropter
Message 10 of 14

Can anyone help me ? ! I have recently started to get "connection unsecure" status when I boot up and the little wireless connection bubble pops up.  The "view wireless networks" option states it is secure !! is it or aint it !! This is a new developement.

Many thanks to all the kind people that replied. All info will be tried. I aint to hot on forum sites etc so I hope all respondents get this note of thanks. Cheers

And is it just me or are the BT Help pages as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike !! Thanks.

0 Ratings