cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Install not finished three weeks later

As it's impossible to speak to somone at BT who isn't working from a script I'm posting here.

Three weeks ago I had a line and broadband installed. The engineer completed the install in the house and to the pole. He couldn't connect it beyond that point as there was no spare connection between the cabinet/exchange and the pole. Ten or twelve phone calls later and I still have no connection.

Several 'faults' have been raised in spite of my continually telling them that there isn't a fault just an incomplete install. There have been several faults raised for two reasons. 1) No one can seem to get their head around the fact that the install is incomplete. 2) When a fault is raised they test the line from their office and it tests fine so they close the fault. The reason it tests fine is that there is no fault, it's not connected.

Everyone I've spoken to says they've made notes for the engineer. Either they're lying, or no one reads them.

I drove the 130 miles from home to the property to meet an engineer (who didn't have the notes!) who then left as he couldn't do the work once I'd explained what was wrong.

So, I have only two courses of action left open. I will raise a complaint on the BT site, although if that's as efficient as the rest of the organisation I doubt it'll acheive anything. Secondly I'm cancelling the direct debit. I'm on good ground with doing so apparently as the service I'm paying for hasn't been supplied.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Install not finished three weeks later

As this problem is an Openreach line plant problem there is little that can be done by BT Retail or any other provider until line capacity can be increased
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

@imago I'm really sorry about the issue with your line.  

If the helpdesks are treating this as a fault it means Openreach have closed off the order stating all work to provide your service has been completed we wouldn't be able to run any diagnostic tests or report a fault on an order that hasn't been completed by Openreach.

This is obviously not the case but to get it resolved we would need to report the issue as a fault to Openreach to get them to provide your service.  If you need any help getting this sorted please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username .

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the replies.

I think I've done more than enough contacting of people to be given the "it's not this department it's ...." run around.

Having sought advice about it the is however light at the end of the tunnel in terms of a simple resolution. I cancel the direct debit. Fortunately I can do this as it's not a fault or interruption of service, but a service that has not been provided.

No doubt there will be a miraculous increase in people available to contact me whe the money stops flowing.

It's also nice to be in the information age with so many forums and social media sites which will allow me to share my experiences.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@imago in my experience that will only complicate matters further, my offer to help is still open if you need any assistance getting this sorted.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Thanks @NeilO I'll get the account number etc and send them over to you tomorrow.

As for the direct debit, I'm not worried about complications. If it were a fault I wouldn't do it as I fully appreciate that things can go wrong. However in this case it's a matter of principle in that I'm not prepared to pay for other people's incompetance. It's a very simple matter, and if at any stage I had been told "unfortunately it's going to take a while to sort out because ..." or a simple appology for the confusion etc I would have been OK with it. What really annoys me though is the repeated spiel about testing the line, it's a fault, it's not openreach it's the underground engineers etc etc. As with any customer for any product or service I'm not interested in the details or responsibilities, I simply want to know that it will be sorted and a rough idea of how long that will take. Three weeks on and there is no sign of anyone even understanding what's wrong and who should sort it. Meanwhile I'm expected to pay for a service that hasn't been delivered? No, not going to happen.

0 Ratings