Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gbswales
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Installation of Infinity Fibre To The Home - questions

Go to solution

Firstly I wish there was a contact form or email form to ask BT questions direct. Chat is not available all the time and telephone calls give no written record of answers.

I am lucky enough to be in an area recently enabled with FTTH (FTTP) and I have placed an order for BT Infinity 200Mbps service.  I am hoping to have my Modem and Smart Hub installed in my hall which is centre of the property.  Are BT engineers able/willing to install Ethernet extension sockets - I basically need one in each of the three rooms leading off the hallway. I do not want to use homeplugs as my electrical wiring is not good and I have never been able to get good throughput through these devices so would prefer to have sockets in the two rooms which have computers and the one which has my Android TV box.  One of the rooms has two computers and the Smart TV and Android box each require a connection.  I had though to install a small switch in each of these locations to provide additional sockets.   Because I am disabled I would like to get the sockets installed at the same time as the router but I can't find anything on the BT site which tells me if they can undertake additional work.  They would in any event need to run at least one cable to my main PC in an adjacent room, to be able to set it up.   I am happy to provide cable, trunking and wall sockets and pay a reasonable charge for the work.  Another alternative (as this is a bungalow) would be to run a single cable to a Switch box in he attic and then run an appropriate number of cabled down through the ceiling to the 3 rooms which have PCs or devices in them.

If BT cannot do this does anyone have any idea what it would likely cost to find a contractor to do this for me

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Installation of Infinity Fibre To The Home - questions

Go to solution

BT would not do this, so you would have to find a suitable contracted. Many electrical contractors also install networking cables. You would have to ask for quotes.

0 Ratings
gbswales
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

I cannot find post new message - BT Infinity Fibre to Home installation tomorrow

Go to solution

I have tried many ttimes to speak to the Fibre to the Home team (FTH s is the option we have) in order to find out the installatiion options open to us. I would prefer to be able to pay BT to install the  modem / router and to install network points from the router in two other rooms - but cannot find out if they even offer this - so will have to wait for the engineer due to install tomorrow (assuming of course they actually show up)  I know that some time in the future I will need toi have the modem and router in a different room but from what I am reading here I shall need to pay BT to move the master socket to achieve this.  I dont mind using hiomeplugs (which I already have) for my two TV and Printer connections - however the signal over my mains network is just not good enough to carry the fast speeds to the three computers in my home ( I lose about 70% through home plugs probably due to the poor wiring circuity) and these will need to be connected by LAN cable.  I have no idea what to expect tonmorrow when (If) the engineer arrives but at the very least I will need at least one telephone extension to the main living room.

I am assuming that as we have fibre to the Home (new cable and box fitted to outside wall already) that we will have a new master socket which presumably can be installed where we require it.  Will they take out the oid sockets and wiring? Are there any differences between Fibre to Cabinet and Fibre to home, as far as the internal sockets are concerned

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
@gbswales,

With FTTP the Openreach Optical Network Termination (ONT) Unit does not connect to your standard master socket but a connectorised fibre cable instead.
As shown here: https://bt.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/29435i4A834EA8D8BFACDC/image-size/original?v=v...

And here
http://piersdaniell.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/BT-FTTP.jpg

You will need to discuss with the engineer where you want the internal equipment to go and they will see if it is possible or not. As to your existing master socket, this will stay however if you aren't keeping the existing copper line then you will need to utilise the phone port on the ONT unit.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
gbswales
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks a simple answer!  Though I still cant find how to make a new post in another forum (BT TV) Although I am logged iin to my Bt I dont see a new topic/new post link or a separate foprum login link

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@gbswales wrote:

Thanks a simple answer!  Though I still cant find how to make a new post in another forum (BT TV) Although I am logged iin to my Bt I dont see a new topic/new post link or a separate foprum login link

@gbswalesTry this link

https://community.bt.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/YouView

0 Ratings