cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 85

Installed BT Desktop help,now PPPOA is crashing because of motive

I installed bt desktop help yesterday, my hub3 as been connected since the mods reset my snr and took off the banding(so they say,i think its just been raised a little because my speed is now continuessly 12.5meg even after all the disconnects today),i went to bed at 5am this morning,got up at 2pm,looked in hub event log because i noticed my hub timer had been up only a few hours,at 6 am it tried to communicate with motive which is bt desktop help, its full of motive modules and drivers and services, obviously it cant comunicate while the pc is off so it made pppoa go down after 2days, then it tried again at 9am and did the same, and again at 12pm, i suspect if i never turned on my pc that it would of tried again at 3pm, i turned the pc on at 2pm.Before installing bt desktop help(motive) my event log is completley clear of motive acs username addresses, not once as it tried to communicate with this address so it must be down to the desktop help, thing is if i uninstall bt desktop help it seems to mess things up as my pc wont auto sign ip addresses and network gateways(wont pick up the hub) so basiclly bt desktop is here to stay unless i re install the whole os, my advice is dont install it you will be so peed when you cant get a perfectly working pc to function normally after you try an uninstall bt desktop help,i went through everything manually(the registry, all folders etc) and deleted everything to do with desktop help but it made no difference,i still had to run diagnose to get the pc to connect to the hub,i repaired the ip stack, reset the winsock catalouge and still no different,i reinstalled desktop help and it works again,so there you have it, im now stuck with the hhb3 trying to communicate with motive when the pc is off there im not going to be able to maintain a constant connection

0 Ratings
84 REPLIES 84
Expert
Message 2 of 85

Re: Installed BT Desktop help,now PPPOA is crashing because of motive

I may be wrong but if you search the forum you should find posts for uninstalling that software.

Personally I can't imagine anyone in their right mind installing it in the first place, as you have now found it, it is diabolical not to mention wrong at times, I have always hated it since I had a version many years ago that tried to tell me I should use DHCP asigned IP's

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 85

Boe 323 just go to a system restore point before you installed desktop help that should solve your problem also motive servers provide firmware upgrades to the hubs worth remembering it could have been checking for the need to upgrade the hub firmware
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 85

I cant do a system restore, when i see that everything is working i always clean my system after installations, i didnt expect this to happen.Ill see what happens after i switch off thepc later.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 85

Always wise to have restore points it saves many heart aches that is the purpose of them What has happened to you could mean possibly a complete reset of operating system and all your software
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 6 of 85

I'm with John on this one, always keep at least the last few system restores, it had been known for patches to take weeks to show issues or keep a good backup strategy in place that can reinstall the OS.

Personally I let windows manage the restore points and have a daily partition based backup of the OS and apps drives along with dupllicate copies of all main data on NAS devices

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 85

Agree with others on this forum! Remove Desktop Help as soon as you can, its a pile of rubbish! Many users say it 'takes over their PC'. You don't need it to get online, and many of the things are easy enough to do yourself without DESKTOP Help running in the background bogging down your CPU.
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 85

The hub3 tried to communicate with motive again while my pc was off, im now back to a high snr and 9meg ip profile which is stuck again, upnp is creating ports which i presume is desktop help,(i hope)i uninstalled desktop help and hard reset the hub but its still creating ports and still communicating with motive acs username, i have a few after the hard reset, some say ( 175.300000) Initializing transaction for event code 6 CONNECTION REQUEST, and,( 162.120000) Server URL: https://pbthdm.bt.motive.com; Connecting as user: ACS username,and,( 107.610000) Server URL: http://pbthdmw.bt.motive.com; Connecting as user: Default username. These are my stats now, i used to be 12.53meg with snr of 6.0db

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

<script type="text/javascript">// paintProgressAndMessageOnBar(100,"The test has successfully completed" ); // </script> Test1 comprises of two tests
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 8934 Kbps

0 Kbps21000 Kbps Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 8934 Kbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4000-21000 Kbps. Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :11320 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1171 Kbps(UP-STREAM) IP Profile for your line is - 9987 Kbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 868 Kbps

0 Kbps1171 Kbps Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 868 Kbps Additional Information: Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1171 Kbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time. It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly. If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 01:16:39
Downstream:11.06 Mbps
Upstream:1.144 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):8.9 dB / 6.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):29.2 dB / 13.1 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.3 dBm / 11.7 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):94 / 121
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):296 / 66
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):72 / 83

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 85

boe just one thing you profile is not stuck you are now using the 88.2% profile systems which will follow your connection speed instantly when your noise margin drops back to the default 6 then your speed will improve again the important thing is leave the hub alone the more restarts the bigger the problem
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 85

Ive made up my mind, im leaving BT and going to o2, everything is cheaper including line rental, and theres no ip profiling, we have llu at our exchange, they can offer me a minimum of 12meg down and 2meg up without the stupid ip profiling so im gaining in price and connection

0 Ratings