Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
northshields
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 5

Installing a Master Socket in a new Location

Go to solution

For largely historic reasons, my master socket is in an inconvenient position upstairs. However, I am about to have an extension built and it would be sensible to move the master socket to a location in the extension. The neatest solution in terms of being able to conceal the wiring would be if the cable itself could be installed whilst the extension is being built. I appreciate that only BT Openreach can "install" a master socket. However, would it be permissible within the rules for the builder to lay the necessary cables, leaving BT Openreach to connect them up at each end?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Installing a Master Socket in a new Location

Go to solution

I would imagine that that would not be a problem as long as the correct cable was being use and the ends were not terminated so that the Openreach engineer could make the connections.

Another option may be just to run the conduit and a piece of string so that the Openreach engineer could pull through his own cable.

0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Yeah, go for it but for the love of God don't let your builder use 'Alarm Cable'....

No end of times I've seen this happen, the stuff is useless for ADSL/VDSL services.....

Get them to use a good quality Cate5e or Cat6 grade cable......

Oh, and if you're gonna run this new cable from the original NTE location please don't let your builder joint it then cover over the joint with a plaster board wall, make sure it's accessible for the Openreach bod when he comes round to fit it and for all future visits.....

The amount of times I've asked where a block terminal or NTE is only for some idiot to say, 'oh, it's hidden in the wall cavity or under the floor boards' then get arsey with you when you can't somehow magically fix the useless bodge of a job them or their builder did......
0 Ratings
northshields
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you for those helpful suggestions. I might go with the conduit idea which enables me to define ther route whilst not doing anything that the Openreach engineer might think was his province.

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
if you really want to make it ok for the Openreach engineers. use the conduit option and put a draw line in, making sure no sharp bends. They can then pull their own cable in.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings