Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
willh123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 34

Interference with master socket?

Hi,

I've had a constant issue with BT ever since we moved in about 12 months ago. Basically, the website and everyone I've spoken to at BT expects us to be getting between 55 and 60mbps but up until recently we were only getting 45. For the last 2 months we have only been getting 35 at best. BT Sent an openreach engineer out who basically said he doesn't know why he was there, theres nothing he can do and left again (amazing customer service!)

Anyway, I'm wondering if we are getting interference with our mastersocket. We had smart gas/electric meters installed about 5 days before the speed really fell down, and the meters are on the outside wall behind the master socket. The fuse box is at the same level as the master socket, on an adjourning wall about 40cm away from it.

It doesn't seem like a coincedence to me that the speed drops as soon as a smart meter is installed? If the meters/fuse box are interfering with the master socket, could that explain why BT think we should be getting a faster speed than we are?

I've attached a screenshot from dslchecker.bt.com and from the router showing the link speed

Thanks!IMG_2927.PNGIMG_2926.PNG

0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 34

Re: Interference with master socket?

I wouldn't expect the smart meters to be causing a problem with master socket

your noise marging is high as normal about 6db and your conenction time only 12hrs so are you resetting router trying to improve conenction or is your router dropping connection often or maybe a combination of both

Looks possibly low speed 34999 is banded profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
willh123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 34

Hi,

No I unplugged it last night as it was plugged into an extension lead that was needed elsewhere.

The unshelded phone cable from the box on the front of the house goes into the wall a way away from all the meters, but comes out behind them near the fuse box where the master socket is, so I don't know if the interference is occuring there rather than the socket itself?

Is there a way to change the banded profile?

As far as I'm aware the router isn't dropping out, unless its doing it at night

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 34

so are you now connected to the master socket directly - no long exension cables just the rj11 cable from master to router?

have you tried the test socket especially if you have extension sockets in other rooms  you need to use a filter to connect to test socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
willh123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 34

Sorry, yeah I am connected directly to the master socket with the RJ11 cable. I've also plugged it straight into the test socket with the filter and had the same results. There are no long extensions in the house, the broadband and phone are connected to the master in the hallway
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 34

while filter in test socket try connecting phone nad do quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet with no noise and best with corded phone if possible

0 Ratings
willh123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 34

OK thanks, I've just done that.

Although it seems quiet, there is a distinct pattern to the "silence" almost like listening to the silence from an old cassette. There is a regular and quiet pop or pause- is that part of the test or noise on the line?

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 8 of 34

Noise on the line. The test should return silence.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 34

was that with corded phone ?

0 Ratings
willh123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 34

Yeah, corded phone
0 Ratings