cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nicka99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Intermittent Disconnects for several hours

I have BT Infinity which has been OK for a couple of years.  As of Saturday morning it will disconnect for long periods of time (normally several hours).  This can start and end any time of day.  The DSL light on the white modem flashes then goes out for a while then flashes again and repeats this endlessly. Home Hub 3 obviously has no chance connecting so the BB light is orange.  

Over the phone BT, after going through the usual (pointless) hoops of checking the wiring, turning on and off, connecting with a LAN cable etc, they detected a fault on the network.  An engineer was booked for Tuesday morning.  Of course come Tuesday (despite going on and off hours at a time in between), it was working when the engineer arrived.  He couldnt detect any problems but also said the test system (whatever that is) was down so couldnt do the extensive tests he wanted.  To be on the safe side, he replaced the white modem with a newer model and also the face plate on the little box on the wall - something about being more resistant to interference (RAIN?).

Come Wednesday its broken again during the afternoon but then connects again late evening.  Yesterday (thursday) was off all afternoon and OK again late evening.  Called BT again who made me go throught the whole crazy checks as before (total waste of time - whats the point of making you swap cables between the white modem and the HH when clearly the modem is not connected - aaaaaaaaargh).  An engineer is booked again for this morning but typically it is working OK.  You can guarantee it will be down again sometime in the next couple of days.

So my question is, what can I do about this ?  It takes 2 days for an engineer to come out and its pot luck if its working or not.  Can I get an engineer to come in a couple of hours rather than 2 days ?  What can be causing this ?  Its driving me mad.  My wife and I work from home and have to use my iphone as a hotspot which is rubbish when I am paying for 'superfast fibre optic' connection which doesnt work 😞  Kids are nagging as cant watch catchup/netflix/iplayer/whatever else.

Anyone else had a similar experience or any suggestions ?

thanks,

Nick

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Intermittent Disconnects for several hours

There are several things you can try.

Check your phone line here: https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/reporting.do?pageId=21
do any of your neighbours share the same fault?
Is the phone noisy?
Does the phone work when the broadband is down?
You can unlock the modem and run DSLstats to monitor the connection.
You can get a 2nd line installed and see if that is the same or works better
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
nicka99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

@legitimise_sailing wrote:
There are several things you can try.

Check your phone line here: https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/reporting.do?pageId=21
do any of your neighbours share the same fault?
Is the phone noisy?
Does the phone work when the broadband is down?
You can unlock the modem and run DSLstats to monitor the connection.
You can get a 2nd line installed and see if that is the same or works better

thanks for your reply...

- no problems with the phone come up

- phone is not noisy

- yes, phone always works

- how to I unlock the model and run the status ?

- seems an expensive solution !  will BT pay for this if the problem persists ?

Nick

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 9

And the neighbours?

Actually, the easiest way is to purchase a spare unlocked HG612 from a well-known auction site.

If the cost deters you, your best bet is to keep on reporting the fault and if that doesn't fix it, escalate it to the CEO office.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
crcky
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

That sounds like a problem I was having back in January, with the DSL light on the white modem going off at random times during the day. It took them a while to even admit that there was a problem, but after getting a mod off of here to look into the problem it got fixed after a few weeks
0 Ratings
nicka99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

- my wife is checking with our neighbours

0 Ratings
StuartH
Message 7 of 9

Hi Nicka99

Send us an email using the contact the mods link in my profile. I can have this investigated for you.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
nicka99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

todays engineer is onsite.  Neighbours have no problems.  will report back...

0 Ratings
nicka99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

a quick update.  Engineer arrived and ran some tests - clearly more intensive than the first engineer as he detected some noises on the line that shouldnt be there.  Before the day was out there were 3 openreach vans on the road and numerous bits of spray paint over the pavement and manholes with 'New Box' etc painted on them.

So this week they'll be digging up the pavement in parts to replace some cabling and boxes which were identified as faulty.

Hopefully that will solve it and maybe even boost the speed Smiley Wink

0 Ratings