cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Intermittent Fault on broadband - probably related to poor underground joints

After enduring the multiple (much more than 7) circles of hell that is the BT chat & customer complaints function in India, I am wondering just how to make any progress.

My connection is ok about 80% of the time, but it randomly drops completely or down to c0.5Mbs (from 12Mb).

This has happened on chat with BT, and they refuse to accept that there was any drop in connection, even when I send them a screenshot of this drop, and of the connection error from BTwholesale speedtester.

When I did manage to get an engineer, he found no fault in my house, which given we've had 8 years of issues with the BT cabling in the road is not a surprise. I had told BT that the fault would most likely be in the underground connection box in our road, as this had been confirmed by several other Openreach engineers. One of them confirmed that a plant renewal had been put in, but becasue it was a day's job it probably would nevner happen.

The engineer they sent for our broadband was a phone engineer, who specifically could not work on anythting underground for health reasons. So, nice as he was, he was of no use.

The last time they **bleep** me off this much I got in contact with the openreach,retail and wholsesale CEOs. which managed to get them to remove the thumb from their bum and do something.

Is this the only option again? Or have BT managed to scrape themselves off the rock bottom of tech/customer service and have another route?

thanks for any help/insight/commiseration etc 🙂

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Intermittent Fault on broadband - probably related to poor underground joints

I have asked a forum moderator to help you they will post their contact link here
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 5

Re: Intermittent Fault on broadband - probably related to poor underground joints

Hi @wsurfa,

I'll be able to take a look at your connection and run a few checks on your line. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

As an update - I got bored of waiting for anythting from India (not from you guys) and pushed it through a snr contact in BT Group HQ.

And, unsurprisingly, an immediate call back from 'level 2' broadband team confirming significant drops on the line with referral to Wholesale and an update to follow tomorrow.

I doubt they'll go straight to SFI2 End User, but Openreach already have an outstanding plant renewal notice on at least one connection point along the road (the underground one).

I'll stick up any updates in case they are of any interest to others.

My main annoyance was the continued dissembling from India and refusal that there was any problem, even when presented with the evidence. That plus the attitude...woooeeee...that would have got you fired from nationalised British Rail it was so bad.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

And the problem is still ongoing.

Mein gott what a shower of XXXX.

For added comedy value  the India helpdesk solution to the hub disconnecting from the BT network is to mess with wireless channel settings. Then, after being reminded for the 5th or 10th time that it's a wired connection, changing the ethernet cable will stop the hub disconnecting ........

Any offshoring/outsourcing projects really should use BT CS project as a case study in how not to do it, and a warning for the major brand destruction it can cause. That plus the hilarrious disconnect between retail/wholesale/openreach would be Pythonesque if it wasn't for it impacting any work or leisure related to my connectivity

2017-01-30 16_29_06-BTW Performance Test.png

0 Ratings