Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Intermittent Noisy Line and Broadband Outages

Go to solution

Hello Guys

Over the past 10 days or so we have experienced a slow internet connection both downstream and upstream. Also there have been intermittent broadband service outages and an intermittently noisy line.

Here is a screenshot of the noise margin being achieved some minutes minutes ago.  The first dip in the middle occurred after a 17070 test when I could hear noise.  The outage on the RHS of the graph was spontaneous (as I was typing this) and a subsequent 17070 test revealed noise.

Does the level of Noise Margin variation seem normal ?

I have contacted the BT helpdesk who were helpful and have had two visits by an Openreach engineer. On each occasion the line has been tested and found OK, (although the guy said he was not a Broadband expert and did not comment on the Noise Margin variation) .

Help please !

Noise.jpg

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Intermittent Noisy Line and Broadband Outages

Go to solution
Hi Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

The stats for the Home Hub 6 can be found on the Information page from http://192.168.1.254 then Advanced Settings -> Technical Log. 

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hi Many Thanks

The engineer fitted a new socket with a built-in filter. 

We use a Billion router and I have tried to obtain the info mentioned - pse see below.   Please also see the latest noise margin chart below which illustrates the multiple outages were ongoing up to 25 mins ago .

Cheers

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
your noise margin is fine
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @journey7777,

How are things with your connection? Have your tried the quiet line test as suggested by @john46?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Hi Paddy

I have carried out many quiet line tests - some have noise, others are quiet ! The broadband has been working again since yesterday - hurrah.  My belief is that there is  intermittent noise on the line as can be seen in the Routerstats graphs - currently there are 2 dB variations in the Noise Margin for the  downstream connection approx every 10 minutes - whereas the upstream is flat. (See below)  My understanding is that on a quiet line the variations in noise margin should be very small ?

Thanks

Chris

Capture.PNG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
if you have an intermittent line noise then that needs resolving as a voice line fault not a broadband one any line noise will wreck a broadband connection
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @journey7777,

Thanks for posting. @john46 is correct. You need to get the line noise sorted so your best bet would be to report that to 151 as soon as it happens again.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings