cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keneu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Intermittent Packet Loss (Resulting in large lag spikes when gaming)

Hello all! For the last few months I've been suffering spikey lag when gaming (specifically in Tribes Ascend and CoD: Modern Warfare 3) but my net speed doesn't suffer and skype quality does not change at all either.

Today I decided to try and see whether the problem was me or whether it was the game and so I tried using pingtest.net during times when I get the lag and I got this result when I timed it right (the lag spikes only last 4-5 seconds and happen once every 5mins or so when gaming). When I saw the result I figured I should probably ask for some assistance with it

Using this test at times outside of these lag spikes I get an "A" result with the same ping, 0-5ms jitter and 0% packet loss

I'm on about 16Mb download/0.7Mb upload BT Total Broadband option 3and I'm using a Netgear router, which I've used for about 6 years now, and I'm connected to it with an ethernet cable with wireless turned off on the router so it's only me connected to it. I tried leaving the router off overnight and turning it on again in the morning but I still get the same problem when it's back on.

Can anybody provide me with any suggestions? I've checked the status page and there's no issues in my area. I'm quite okay with computers but if you want me to run a test please tell me how 🙂 Also, this phone line is an extra one added to the house so I'm not sure if it will have a "master" socket like the other line in the house but I'll check if it's required. I'm going to ask around and try to find a second router to see if that's the issue, but besides that does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Intermittent Packet Loss (Resulting in large lag spikes when gaming)

are you sure you are on infinity as those speeds look more like adsl2+ and also you say you are using a 6 year old netgear router that would not be suitable for infinity also you would also have an Openreach modem connected to the master socket any router would not work if you are on infinity
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

Here are some help pages done by CL Keith http://www.btinternet.com/~cbeddoe/speed/Speed.html

also post your full hub stats details shown in this link http://www.btinternet.com/~cbeddoe/others/adslstats.html

Can you also post the full results fromBT Speedtest speedtester.bt.com

Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket  Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
keneu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Well, basically the "tariff" if you like that I'm on is one that has been carried over from when BT used to do unlimited cap broadband at 512kb/s and it was upgraded from there and such to keep up with current tariffs. I've just checked the bill there and the exact wording is "BT Total Broadband Option 3", I'll change the first post appropriately.

0 Ratings
keneu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

The results of the bt speed tester are as follows:

Download speed (Mbps): 15.82

Upload Speed (Mbps): 0.69

Ping Latency(ms): 45.63

And here is the connection statistics which you requested. Will you need me to keep an eye on this and copy the results during a lag spike? or is this sufficient?

System Up Time 04:06:52
PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollisionsTx B/sRx B/sUp Time
WANPPPoA2049118338672101069927733704:06:17
LAN10M/100M3387821205690502809121380504:06:48
WLAN11M/54M0000000:00:00

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed17046 kbps828 kbps
Line Attenuation30.0 db13.7 db
Noise Margin2.3 db7.8 db
0 Ratings
keneu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

And to add, sorry for a triple post, I don't actually have a phone plugged into this telephone line and I don't have one that I can plug into it easily

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

hi if you had infinity you would have a white openreach modem connected to the master socket and a  router / hub connected to it   this is what the modem  looks like and it would have been engineer installed you sound like you are on  the adsl2+ service as infinty would give you speeds of up to 40mb down 10 mb up or 80mb down 20mb up 

modem.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

ok have now seen your modified post that has at least got that sorted 🙂
0 Ratings
keneu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Hello, still having problems with this - anyone have anymore ideas?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

are you connected to the test socket ?
0 Ratings