cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keneu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 16

Re: Intermittent Packet Loss (Resulting in large lag spikes when gaming)

Sorry for the delay, have been busy.

From what I can see there is no test socket on this line. This house has 2 phone lines, the phone line which I'm trying to sort out is in a room which was "redone" when we moved in - it used to be a garage and then we turned it into a bedroom with a phone line. This phone line only has 1 wall socket and I just took the faceplate off and all that's behind it is a hole in the wall with some wires leading to the faceplate. 

Any further ideas?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 16

you say you have two lines are they both broadband activated
0 Ratings
keneu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 16

Yeah both have lines broadband provided by BT - separate phone numbers and account for each one

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 16

do both lines have the same problem ?
0 Ratings
keneu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 16

I hooked up my PC to the other phone line in the house and it's a lot smoother. Think I got 1 lag spike that was "my end" during maybe 4-5 hours of gaming over the last couple of days. I remembered though that the other phone line isn't on BT though, it was changed to Sky recently and I completely forgot. I'll amend previous posts as appropriate. It seems I can't edit my other posts.. this could get messy to keep track of.

So this basically suggests it's something to do with my phone line's setup. Is it possible that it's a router issue rather than a service issue? I don't have another router to test it, any ideas how I could test if it's the line or the router or something else?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 16

maybe you could try and borrow one from a friend or neighbour
0 Ratings